Ferrari308guy

E2000 Help

[ Edited ]

Hello all-

I need some help setting up my E2000 router.

My ISP is SBC Global, and I have their 1701HG Gateway model, which acts as both a modem and a router. This was working fine, but I wanted a little bit more speed and range, so I decided to get the Linksys E2000.

The Linksys setup went fine, as I followed the instructions, and connected the phone line to the modem, the Linksys to the modem, and the computer to the Linksys. The computer that I set up my router on had a fine internet connection, as it was wired directly through an ethernet cable.

When I went to connect the rest of the devices in my house, which are wireless, I noticed that the signal was terrible. This was true for a computer at the other end of my house, as well as a computer which is just 10 feet away from the router, with almost no obstructions for the signal. Even when I could get these computers to connect, the internet was very slow.

I messed around with it for several hours, and tried many different things. I read about changing various IP addresses, putting my 1701 gateway into bridged mode, and then engaging PPoE on the Linksys, and so on, but nothing improved the signal. What really confused me was that the computer at the other end of my house was still picking up the orignial 1701HG wireless signal, and it was stronger than the Linksys signal!

I really need some help here. I bought the Linksys becuase I was told it was a great product with a great wireless range, and I still have hope that it is, but I'm beginning to think I bought the wrong product? Surly the wireless range/signal on the Linksys has to be better than that of the 1701HG Gateway?

Any help is appriciated.

Thanks,

Phil

dudztgp

Re: E2000 Help

One factor is interference. You have to turn off the wireless functionality of your 1701HG and let E2000 handle it. Try other channels as well.
Ferrari308guy

Hi,

I did try to turn off the wireless function of the 1701, but that didn't seem to improve the signal of the E2000.

I read the Cisco Guide about interference, but it did not seem to apply to my situation either. As I posted origninally, I have one computer that is just 10 feet away from the router, with no walls interfering, and the signal is still weak.

Ferrari308guy

[ Edited ]

Well, now I have the 1701HG in bridged mode, with its WiFi broadcast turned off. The Linksys E2000 is set to PPoE, and is receiving the internet signal just fine from the 1701HG. My wired computer is connected to the Linksys and is also working. I'm especially happy with the gigabit connection that it's receiving.

However, the original issue of the poor WiFi signal from the Linksys remains.

I read that the range of 2.4Ghz internet should be at least 100 feet. My farthest computer is maybe 30 feet away, and that computer isn't able to hold a connection to the Linksys. The computer that's 10 feet away with no obstructions is able to hold the signal, but it's a weak signal, and the internet is rather slow on that computer.

Has anybody experienced anything like this? I can't imagine I have to get an $80 range extender to get this signal to go just 30 feet?!

dudztgp

[ Edited ]

Read this article. Maybe you can sort it out.

Ferrari308guy

Thanks for the article.

I did read it, but unfortunetly the ideas it had didn't apply to my situation. I'll keep searching.

AVInstaller

[ Edited ]

Hey Ferrari guy,

Dont feel bad, as I am feeling your pain........I am pretty good with this stuff, as I install custom home theater equipment, and I cant get this device to work properly for the life of me......well, I have it running, but the signal strength is horrible......I use a pretty handy program  call WIFI Analyzer on (ANDROID) that measures the strength of wifi signals, and even shows the "cleanest" channel for the router to be on......it has worked perfectly for many wireless router setups, and has been great......this E2000 is driving me crazy though......I have moved it to several locations, changed SSID's, used 5, 2.4, Auto with poor reception (-75db), even 12 feet away. The WIFI analyzer will show me that channel 11 is the cleanest "channel" to use while I may be on channel 9 which shows as the worst channel to be on......then I switch to channel 11 which becomes the poorest signal available and the #9 channel will be the best......also shows what channels the neighbors are using.....this has helped with every other router except the E2000.......I get horrible reception on all channels of 5mhz......I may take it back.

(Mod note: Edited for guideline compliance.)

Ferrari308guy

Wow, that seems pretty rough. Thanks for letting me know.

I called Cisco support over the weekend, and they tried a few things with it, but nothing worked, so they said they would send me a new router.

We'll see if it works, but if you're having the same issues I am, maybe it's something else.