chisel29

E2500 Very slow download and upload speeds on PS3 100% signal NAT Open

I have a Linksys WRT54G router that averages 10M download speed on my wireless laptops (speedtest.net).  On my PS3 I am lucky if I get 3.0M through PS3 internet connection test (wrt54g).  Bought a Linksys E2500 to replace the WRT54G and wholla-- even slower speed, best I have seen is 2.0M and 7M on the laptops.  Even if I go wired, I still get the same result, maybe 500KBPS higher.  Isn't this supposed to be a newer product with better technology, meaning a better connection?

Been to 100 websites and all I hear is talk about cables, ISPs, ports, MTU values, mainly about ports.  Tried opening up tons of ports and had zero result (zero instructions in box for this, had to rely on Google and forums which can be very challenging and it was!).   Changed, MTU values, cables, nothing....

Where I am at right now - messed with it for three hours last night, even called my ISP and upgraded my internet to 20MBPS, called PS support (he told me to open up ports which I wanted to reach through the phone and strangle him) and NOTHING!  About 10PM last night, my son said “Dad, thanks but let's hook up the old one”, which I did and now have the E2500 back in the box ready to return unless-- someone can give the "average customer" easy, step by step instructions on how to hook up a E2500 to a gaming system.  So for now, unless I hear something different, this product will be returned to my local Best Buy and I will have to wait until someone gives me a better suggestion.

Once again—20 MBPS into my modem, 1.1 MBPS on my PS3, upload even slower.  Thanks for the help.

Mort

Re: E2500 Very slow download and upload speeds on PS3 100% signal NAT Open

Try these troubleshooting steps:

A] With the help of Cisco Connect Software (if at all you have installed the router with the help of this software)

1] Open the software and go to the option which says "Router Settings"

2] Then click on the option which says "Advanced Settings" which will take you to the router's configuration page.

3] In that setup page reduce the MTU size to 1400 from auto. Save the settings

4] Then go to the Wireless tab, change Channel width to 20 MHz only and change the Channel to 6, 9, 11...Save the settings..

B] If you haven't installed Cisco Connect then you can log on to the router's user interface using it's default IP address in the browser which is 192.168.1.1 and type in 'admin' as the password leaving the username field blank. This will take you to the router's web interface and then follow steps as mentioned above to make the changes.

Then check the wireless connection status.

jeenyuhs

[ Edited ]
Maybe you could set a QoS for your ps3 and set the prioroty to high. And you could wire the ps3 to the router
hiptechboy

Go to speakeasy.net/speedtest and tell us your results. FYI, the PS3's integrated speed test tool isn't an accurate way to measure what speed you are receiving.
I don't work for Cisco. I'm just here to help.
Pinolian

I have the same problem. I have not tried the advice here, however i am able to recognize the greatly reduced speeds. There is no way that a 25 mgb file should take over 5 minutes to download on a mb/s connection. And, after hooking up my old router, my speeds were back up to par.

Can anyone fix this?

hiptechboy

What speeds do you get (old router vs new router) when you do the speakeasy speedtest? 

I don't work for Cisco. I'm just here to help.
upset consumer

i have had the exact same problem. i called 8 times and got the same song each time with another incompitent employee who was tring and  telling me the same exact thing as the last person. my older router worked perfectly fine tho i was just buying a new one because of the wireless N . i bought the 1500 then they told me to return it n i decided to go a lil better with the 2500 and the speed is worse than before. i am the lead manager for IT at my medical center and manage all the wireless in the whole building of 150 wireless routerns and networks which we leased through crisco  and becuase of the lack of customer service and help i recived i will be going with another company come next month all because of this. so pissed still