benrichardson
Accepted Solution

E2500 as WiFi access point only

I have an E2500 running as a router/DHCP server. For reasons beyond the scope of this question, I am replacing the router and DHCP functions with a SonicWALL device. I would like to continue to use the E2500 as a wireless access point only, providing WiFi connection to the SonicWALL. How do I set up the E2500 for this purpose. I assume I switch off the DHCP server and NAT within the device. Is there a dedicated "access point" mode? Thanks
Expert
Expert

Re: E2500 as WiFi access point only

No. There is no access point mode. Set a suitable LAN IP address on the E2500, disable the DHCP server and connect one of the LAN ports of the E2500 to the SonicWALL.
benrichardson

Wonderful, thanks. To all practical ends, this will achie...

Wonderful, thanks. To all practical ends, this will achieve the exact same thing I want – correct?
Expert
Expert

Re: Wonderful, thanks. To all practical ends, this will achie...

Yes. That's why I wrote what I wrote.
benrichardson

Many thanks.
alexanderp98

I would like to do the same thing, but wirelessly. I bought an E3200 and a E2500.  The E3200 is connected to my cable modem at one end of the house.  At the other end is my home theater system which I want to connect to the E2500 and have the E2500 communicate wirelessly to the E3200. How would I do this?

Thanks.

alexanderp98

My mistake, the other router is an E4200, not a E3200.

Expert
Expert

Not possible. The routers only operate as access point not as bridge or repeater. You must run a wire or use powerline ethernet.
Gaigebacca

I have tried to do this, but I cannot access the internet wirelessly with this setup.  I have done this multiple times in the past on different networks, and it usually works, but for some reason, this particular router (e2500) is not working properly.  Any suggestions?

I left the internet tab set as dynamic, and set the LAN tab for a local IP address, and disabled the DHCP on the lan, as I have a firewall that will handle DHCP.  The client will connect to the access point and pull down a valid IP address from the firewall, but will not access external internet content.

Expert
Expert

1. You have to connect the router LAN-LAN.

2. Open a command prompt window on the client, enter "ipconfig /all" and post the full output.