Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
jvgroom
Accepted Solution

E2500 power light blinking; can't reset

I have a E2500 wireless router and have been using it fine for more than 6 months.  Today I needed to direct connect to my computer so I unplugged the ethernet cable from my router and plugged into my computer, worked fine.  When I was finished I plugged the ethernet cable into the router and tried to connect to the wireless but I could no longer find the signal from router.  I tried reseting by unplugging and replugging the devices and computer but to no avail.  The power light on the back is blinking and will not stop.  I tried to hard reset the device by pressing the button on the bottom for 30+ secs and nothing happens just the power light keeps blinking.  I even re-inserted the set-up disc but it can't do anything because it cannot find the router.  I have no idea what to do next, any help or suggestions would be very appreciated as I have spent the last 5 hours frustrating myself.

Thanks,

-Jeff

jvgroom

Re: E2500 power light blinking; can't reset

Also to note I think the "cisco" logo should light-up (from what I am reading it lights up if its working correctly)... but it is not lit up at all.  Very frustrating as I feel like this router is just sitting there dead, even though all I did was unplug the ethernet cable for 2 minutes... not sure what happened or how to approach this.  Any help would be much appreciated

Expert
sabretooth

Blinking power light means your firmware is corrupted.  Try here to recover.

http://www.lancelhoff.com/how-to-fix-a-bricked-linksys-router/

or

http://www.savemondo.com/2008/11/21/how-to-unbrick-a-linksys-router/

jvgroom

Thank you sabretooth, but none of these solutions have worked for me! the 30/30/30 did nothing and trying the first link there is an error in the command window saying" tftp is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file"...  Is there any other suggestions to unbrick this router???

Expert
sabretooth

If it's under warranty, call for replacement.  Otherwise you need a new router.

blue_butterfly

Hi jvgroom,

As far as I know, Linksys router do have a 1-yr hardware warranty. So, if the powerlight won't stop blinking and you can't get any connection to the router, you can call support and have it replaced. 

dadayzee

jvgroom, a blinking power light could mean a possible hardware or firmware problem. Plug a computer to the router and use the computer to PING 192.168.1.1, if you'll get 4 replies, you may still be able to upgrade the router's firmware either through the router's page or via a TFTP file.

Please check this link. http://kb.linksys.com/Linksys/ukp.aspx?vw=1&docid=8a3567e58c834e7485042cd8851b2776_4573.xml&pid=80&r...

jvgroom

Thank you everyone for your help! I actually bought a new router but decided to try the firmware update one more time and it worked!  I was able to ping the router and get a response and the firmware updated just fine, set everything up and am now working wireless and can return the other router!  Not sure what I did differently or what changed overnight but I am glad it did.

Thanks again,

-Jeff

pepper_mint

Glad to hear about that, jvgroom. Sometimes, if it doesn't work the first time, it's best to try and try again :smileyvery-happy: Enjoy your connection! :smileywink:

rkell557

I too have an E2500 Linksys router.  I purchased it because my slightly older than 1 year Linksys router's wireless quit.  I purchased this router August of 2013 at my local BestBuy store.  Back in January, it started this behavior.  I reset the router, reloaded the firmware and reconfigured the router.  Two weeks later, it did the same thing...so, I did the same thing.  What a pain in the butt.  I eventually installed the DD-wrt firmware on this router, but its wireless speed dropped significantly.  I've since retired this router and purchased an ASUS router.  They seem to get a MUCH better rating than the Linksys products.  I think Linksys needs to look at their quality control for these products.  I do a lot of purchasing for my company and I can tell you that personally and professionally, I will look elsewhere.