E2500 with slow speeds despite strong connection

I've run into an issue and it has me stumped. I just moved into a new apartment and for the first time am using the actual wifi for my laptop rather than directly connecting. I immediately noticed the slow speeds and checked it (2 Mbps download / .5 Mbps upload) and when I connected it to the router directly it jumped right up (75-80 mbps download / 12 Mbps upload). Checking the speeds on my Xbox nearby showed similar results while connected to wifi ( 2Mbps download / 2 Mbps upload).

I first tried a factory reset and then reinstalled the latest firmware. That took it up to 7 Mbps, but still way short of where it should be. I also tried changing the channel width to 20 MHz only. I set the channel to 6 as it was the least crowded, but that was a moot point as the other wifi networks kept changing their channels. I tried disabling IPv6 and ensuring that "Automatic Configuration - DHCP" was selected.

I'm pretty certain at this point that the problem lies in the router, but I wanted to get some troubleshooting help before I go spending money on something new. Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide!

Expert

Re: E2500 with slow speeds despite strong connection

Hi, Slicklizard. Have you tried using other non-overlapping wireless channels (1, 9, or 11)? By the way, what's the firmware version of your router?

Chris-21499
Linksys Technical Support

Firmware version is 3.0.02, and 9 is the only one that wasnt too crowded with only 2 other people on it. I switched to it just to be sure and got a jump up to 26 Mbps.

Expert

[ Edited ]

when you look at the connection itself, what is the speed it shows there? connection speed is different than the results of speedtest.net or whatever site you use.  do you have qos set up? it may slow you down too. And by the way, even though channel 9 is better for you, don't be confused. It is overlapping channel 6 and 11. but if it works don't change for now. Can you check with a ethernet cable connection to the router to see what you are getting? I think you already did that but wanted to be sure you didn't mean directly connected to the modem. Also 20mHz can slow you down too but its hard to get 40 on the 2.4 band. if that is also slow you need to figure it out before worrying about the wifi side. 

If you have been helped by responses from me or others on this site please feel free to hit their kudos button! thanks

[ Edited ]

Hi, Slicklizard. Just to verify, how many wireless devices are connected to your network? Have you also tried using other wireless devices if it has the same results (other than your Laptop and Xbox) so we can sort it out? You may also check if your wireless adapter is running on an AC or N technology to further isolate it. 

Ces-21490
Linksys Technical Support