Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
caudio51

E3000 Firmware Upgrade Failure

I was prompted by Cisco Connect to upgrade the router software.  During this process it came back and said the update failed.  At this time the network connection dropped.  The power light is now flashing on the device.  Any advice for what steps to take next?  Is the router bricked?  Any advice would be appreciated.

dudztgp

Re: E3000 Firmware Upgrade Failure

It looks like the router is bricked. Try this step. If it didn't work, here's another step.

caudio51

Thanks tried both of those and nothing.  I find it hard to believe there is no solution to a firmware upgrade failing.  This cannot be the first time this has happened.

dudztgp

Here's another procedure you can try. Download the tftp.exe here. Another article you can check in using tftp method.

Helojet

I just installed 1.0.03 today and it failed. power light blinks and now it's a brick.

rhdcheme

[ Edited ]

You might want to try the recovery procedure posted in dd-wrt for wrt610nv2.  It's worth a shot and you got nothing to lose.

Recovery (Unbricking)

A simple way to recover a bricked device is:

1. unplug all ethernet ports (important!)
  2. unplug power
  3. plug power in
  4. wait 2-2.5 seconds
  5. press the reset button and keep it pressed for 5 seconds, then release it
  6. reconnect ethernet (DHCP shoud give IP address to computer)
  7. point your browser at 192.168.1.1. You should see a "Management Firmware update" screen where you can flash the   (Linksys) firmware.

FURTHER EDIT:

I think it has been reported in dd-wrt that if you do the 30-30-30, the management recovery mode is wiped out and you cannot do the above procedure.

TFTP may not be available on this router.

Ronnie_USA

rhdcheme wrote:

You might want to try the recovery procedure posted in dd-wrt for wrt610nv2.  It's worth a shot and you got nothing to lose.

Recovery (Unbricking)

A simple way to recover a bricked device is:

1. unplug all ethernet ports (important!)
  2. unplug power
  3. plug power in
  4. wait 2-2.5 seconds
  5. press the reset button and keep it pressed for 5 seconds, then release it
  6. reconnect ethernet (DHCP shoud give IP address to computer)
  7. point your browser at 192.168.1.1. You should see a "Management Firmware update" screen where you can flash the   (Linksys) firmware.

FURTHER EDIT:

I think it has been reported in dd-wrt that if you do the 30-30-30, the management recovery mode is wiped out and you cannot do the above procedure.

TFTP may not be available on this router.

I had to try this out, it wouldn't work till I set a static IP of 192.168.1.2 for my network card, and Yes I was able to revert from DD-WRT firmware that had a 30/30/30 done to it.

rhdcheme

Ronnie -

But was your router bricked, though?

JamesHoll39

Just received my replacement E3000 after the first one turned into a brick when the firmware upgrade failed. I was connected wireless at the time. After getting the new unit installed I  tried the upgrade again this time with a wired connection. The upgrade failed but the unit is still working.

I spent hours on chat and phone support the first time and am not looking forward to going to support for help.

bobharbert

I set up a brand new E3000 router today and it was working fine.  When I got a message that an update was available, I chose to update and that was a major mistake.

The update failed, power light was flashing and when I talked to Customer Support they just told me to return it.  Obviously they know about this problem but have done absolutely nothing to fix it.  I wish I would have googled it before I updated and then I would not have attempted it.

I will not be updating my replacement router until I'm sure it is safe.  Perhaps that will be never!