Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
rwdoyle

E3000 Issue with External Storage (Solved)

I recently bought an E3000 router because I wanted to hang a large USB drive off it to use as a backup disk for all of my household data.  I have small Windows Active Directory (I'm an IT professional with an MSDN subscription) in my house.  I created accounts on the E3000 with the same name and password as my AD accounts.  I set the "workgroup" to the same name as my AD.  This allowed me to map drives to the E3000 storage without having to enter seperate credentials.  It worked perfectly until...

Once I started copying large files to the E3000 it would get about 10 minutes in and then report a non-specific error ("there was a a problem accessing the disk").  After a couple of days of pulling my hair out it occurred to me the problem may be related to the fact that my username and password matched the AD username and password.

So, I created accounts on the E3000 which were completely different, mapped drives using the "user other credentials" options, and now everything works fine!  I just wanted to share this information in case anyone else finds themselves in the same situation.

So, if you are using an AD on your network and you are sharing storage on the router, do not use the same usernames and passwords which are on the AD for the router accounts.

UnknownHero

Re: E3000 Issue with External Storage (Solved)

Good info. Thanks for sharing. A kudos to you! :smileyhappy:

westfaliawerke

I just picked up  an Linksys E3000 after my D-Link DIR-625i failed.

I do not have an Active Directory on my bride's home network, It is not connected through a Domain Server, and is only using a Windows Workgroup, and the network is controlled by Cisco's Network Magic Pro.

Do you suspect any problems with connecting a 500Gb usb drive to the E3000 and making all references to mapped partitions and subdirectories through the default Windows Workgroup?

p3busman

[ Edited ]

There seems to be a limit on hard drive size or a bug in the router firmware.  I have a Seagate external 3 TB drive.  I can connect it to either my Windows system or my Linux system and see the full 3 TB.  If I connect it to the E3000 I can only see ~750 GB.  Yes, I did select to share the whole partition.

rwdoyle

p3busman

I ran into another issue with external storage.  I have a 240 GB drive attached and have the E3000 configured for a standard network share and FTP server.  When I connect via FTP from my PC (running Linux) I can transfer about 30 to 40 files then the router will drop all wireless and wired connections.  The only way I can reconnect is to cycle power at the router.

gruversm

I'm trying to connect my WD external HD to my E3000 using a Mac 10.7.  I was able to create a connection using smb://192.168.1.1 .  From there is asks me for my user name and password.

i usually use 'Admin' as my username and my password that I use when I access my router.  Should I be putting in different credentials?

bigmaxroberts

I set up a usb storage disk, but I cannot get it to map.  I get hung up when it asks for my password during the mapping process.  It seems to take the IP address and folder, but when I put in "admin" as the username and my router's password it will not accept.. Any thoughts?

copperavery

same here. Found the stupid thing doesn't seem to change the storage password...it is still "admin", same as log on....I can't see how to change it, either.

Jimtaylor1@ca.inter.net

HI, I am having the same issues with connecting my seagate 3tb goflex to the e3000 usb 2.0. I need NTFS and only 750gb shows up. Any solutions??? Thanks.