JackMetcalfe

Re: E3000 Media Server

Similar problems here.  Now I see the media server on wired connections fine but not wireless.

Router functionality works fine.  However it is like they did not test media server or disk sharing at least with Windows 7 and perhaps NTFS.  Pretty sad.  I tried the one firmware update available and perhaps that is when the wired connections got to see the media server.  I am hoping they will get it working with some future firmware update and invest in testing.

I really didn't think of Microsoft Windows and NTFS as being a small obscure part of the market but apparently Cisco does.

landline

Unfortuantely I have folders specified.  I was able to get the PS3 to see the media server once, and now I cant at all.  Ive rebooted both several times to no avail.

proxcee

FINALLY FIGURED IT OUT!

I was having the same problem for about 2 months...just figured it out today.  It is sooooo stupid and needs to be fixed by cisco.

After months of no luck ...a few days ago it appeared on the PS3...but the next day it was gone.  This is what i found works in getting the PS3 to see the media server on the E3000:

(obviously make sure you have the media server enabled on the router and at least one folder shared....and make sure you have scanned the folder(s))

1) Turn your PS3 on.

2) Disconnect your external usb drive.

3) Pull the power on the E3000.

4) Connect the external usb drive.

5) Plug the power back into the E3000.

This worked for me. 

It seems as though you have to power both devices (router and hdd) up at the same time for some reason.

To break it again (for testing purposes):

1) disconnect hard drive.

2) turn ps3 off.

3) plug the drive back in.

4) turn ps3 back on.

Your E3000 media server should be gone now and wont come back no matter how many times you plug and unplug your drive or mess with the router settings.

To get it back just do what I originally suggested.  Hope this helps people.

To cisco...if there is any way you can fix this in the next firmware update it will be GREATELY appreciated.  Also fix the "drive type not supported" error message too!

zundapman

I too am a relative newbie to the whole "Media Sharing" world.  Being a retired cybergeek who started programming and remote computing in reasearch settings in 1960, and having done a series of long stints in software development niche occupations, I understand protocols, host and network name etc, etc.

I have three computers connected to an E3000 configured as a windows workgroup.  Two are running XP Home with all the latesst patches.  The third is a Vista Business workstation.  With my previous router, which had no wireless support, I configured all my router connections, etc., etc. and file and printer sharing i needed worked just fine.  Because it is just a small home network mostly used in the past for "testing purpoeses" with verious servers attached via ethernet,  I could do almost everything I wanted.

Right now, I'm having an "issue" which preceeds seriously using the media server.  The router has a "host" name configured, an administrator name, and password, etc. but...  The workgroup has a "management user" with a unique password.  I would like to be able to use that same "windows user" identity to manage the router rather than the current default "admin", and allow two other workgroup users rights to work on partitions shared via the Cisco E3000 as "host"

So far, I have not connected anything but a thumb drive to the USB port on the router.  Also in my router configuration table set up the domain name is blank, and every time I try to set it to the workgroup name, I loose the ability to use Cisco Connect via wired connections.   What am I missing?   I see that you can format and name a drive on a usb thumb drive

via the router's web interface, but I have not figured out how to add additional management identities to the domain, etc., etc, so that I can give different workgroup members their own places on a large usb attached drive, and grant them managemnt rights to parts of the drive by partition or via windows file sharing ownership rights.

How do I add more "advanced" user names to the router's credentials, or am I limited to one?   Cisco Connect got locked out of the network the first time I tried setting up the router because I missed something.  I may still be in too deep and have to start over if I can't add the workgroup name to the domain field on the router without starting over from scratch. If I change the name of the administrative user to the name I use within the workgroup and set the same administrative password, will cisco connect work under the credentials of that user on any of the computers?

There are a lot of issues with media rights to stuff which I have not yet purchased that I need to understand before I start populating the media services server with "real data."  Where can I find a good "techie overview" of the development and general theory of these issues which are fundamental to full technical understanding of the role of a "media server".

I've got one of those Samsung "internet" TV's which can be networked via a proprietary wireless network, but so far the only thing I have working on it is "infolink."   I can "ping" the TV on my network but the Samsung pc based media server software is a pile of crap, and the bios on my tv doesn't quite support the range of media protocols.  Right now I'm using it as a monitor attached to the cable box because there is one and only one Toslink sound connection to my HTIB sound system and the sound on the Samsung **bleep**s the bed.  I still have ethernet and USB connectors open, The cable box is acting as the "tuner" for the monitor.  I should be able to network digital TV to the Samsung tuner and switch between cable source and "network" source, etc. but it looks like I'm going to have go crazy getting what I want.

I would like to "own" certain digital media, store them on a drive attached via USB to the E3000, and have the TV "play" them via the proprietary samsung wireless networking device.  Users of their PC based "media server" are frustrated by the same "lack of documentation" which seems to accompany the E3000.

Is there a "Media Services Theory" textbook out there?

robertehahn

Re: E3000 Media Server - PS3 Issue

Hi,

I'm having a similar issue and tech support is no help at all.

If and when my PS3 sees the Media Server I eventually get the following error on PS3:

Media Server Error:

A network error has occured.

(800288D8)

&

Media Server Error:

A DLNA Protocol Error (2101) Has Occured

My PS3 is hardwired to the E3000 router. I  have a 2nd ps3 in a bedroom connected via wifi and get the same error. This is pretty difficult to solve. Any ideas?

Luckymich77

Luckymich77

a

[ Edited ]

zundapman

Re: E3000 Media Server - Update

I'm now able to use the 1gb drive connected to the USB port on the E3000, but only with the XP machines.  Apparently the file system support in Vista (directory permisions, etc.) is too complex for the firmware on the router. So far, a lot of people have complained about this in forums here, most of them, like me, without full knowledge of the issues involved.  I recalled having problems sharing drives under Vista with XP machines and the upgrades to the TCPIP stack which were required several years ago, and realized that some of these issues are still a problem.

j6kelly3

Re: E3000 Media Server - Update

Alright I finally got the media sharing figured out. As others have said before, you need to go into your advanced settings and go under the storage tab. From there click on media server and then click specify folder to scan. A new window will appear with the title "Media Share". Near the end of the window, there will be a table that has the columns Folder, Enter into Folder, and Select. From Fat2 you want to enter the folder which is on your external HDD. Basically you need to navigate to the music folder or whatever folder you are trying to share by clicking enter folder.

Once you've found the folder you want to share, save settings and close the media share window. Once you are back on the advanced settings window, under storage then media server you should see the folder you selected in the "media share" window. Just scan the folder to the database and save settings and the folder you selected should be ready to share on your PS3 now with one of the rootmusic, rootpicture, or rootvideo.

lupedius

Re: E3000 Media Server - PS3 Issue

robertehahn wrote:

Hi,

I'm having a similar issue and tech support is no help at all.

If and when my PS3 sees the Media Server I eventually get the following error on PS3:

Media Server Error:

A network error has occured.

(800288D8)

&

Media Server Error:

A DLNA Protocol Error (2101) Has Occured

My PS3 is hardwired to the E3000 router. I  have a 2nd ps3 in a bedroom connected via wifi and get the same error. This is pretty difficult to solve. Any ideas?

Have the same problem

Have tried everything by now and getting very frustrated.

The stream works fine up to an hour or so but often less than that - then I get the same messages

After that I need to deactivate the mediaserver and reactivate it to get the stream working again

Does anyone have a solution for this ?