scrawner

E3000 QoS Issues

Has anyone tested QoS on the new E3000?  I'm about to pull my hair out --

Whenever I add an application (e.g. Voice Device) and set priority to Medium or High, my upstream bandwidth for everything else is immediately cut significantly, even when I'm not using the priority application. 

For example, with QoS disabled, I can consistently get 10Mb upstream (speedtest.comcast.net).  As soon as I enable QoS, upstream is capped to exactly 2Mb!

On my old router, there was an option to set the total upstream bandwidth -- but on the E3000 there is no such option that I can find.  

Is there a solution? 

great_white

Re: E3000 QoS Issues

When you Enable QoS on your Router, you can set the Priority level to Medium and check check if you face the same problem or not.

scrawner

I did some more testing today, and the same thing happens regardless of the priority set  -- even choosing Low or Normal priority kills my upload speeds.   As soon as I disable QoS, it returns to normal!    

great_white

You can upgrade/re-flash the firmware on your linksys router and then try to disable QoS. Now observe the connection.

scrawner

I can leave QoS disabled just fine -- I am trying to actually use the functionality, and best I can tell this E3000 assumes my uplink speed is 2Mb, and there's no way that i see to change it.  Other routers including some LInksys models supporting QoS that I've seen either auto-detect the uplink speed, or let the user manually set it. 

Two strikes for the E3000 -- no guest mode w/o Cisco Connect, and QoS unnecessarily caps one's upload speed. May be time to send it back!     Thanks

scrawner

Would anyone be willing to test QoS on their E3000?  I spoke to Support, and all they would do is issue me a replacement device. 

QoS can't function properly unless it knows how much upstream bandwidth is available, and I find no option in this model to set the speed.   From my testing, it defaults to 2Mb/sec -- and each QoS managed application I add is given a fraction of the 2Mb, rather than a fraction of the 10Mb/sec I actually have available.

scrawner

Good news -- The recent firmware update (1.0.01) updates the QoS menu to allow one to specify uplink speed! 

I'm still seeing some slowdown in throughput, but it is improved.  Now if I specify 10Mb/sec as my uplink speed, I can get about 5Mb/sec throughput on a speed test (vs only 2Mb previously).   If I cheat and specify 20Mb/sec (even though my max is 10), I can get about 9Mb/sec on a speed test.   Thanks.

Bumbolio

I upgraded my E3000 to the latest firmware and I set my upstream bandwidth to 1400 Kbps.  What I've noticed now is that even when the high/medium priority applications are not in use, the bandwidth for everything else is still caped at about 1Mbps.  I've been running speed test using speakeasy.net to see what my upstream bandwidth is after each change.  I noticed that if I set port 80 to High, speakeasy.net shows my full upstream bandwidth again.  My understanding is that QoS should only be slowing down other applications if the priority applications are present.  

Additionally, I tested the QoS feature by giving the xbox live ports high priority.  I was playing Battlefield:  Bad Company 2 on the xbox and then ran a speed test on speakeasy.  As soon as the speed test got to the upload test, the game practically froze.  In some cases It was bad enough that I would get kicked from the server.  If QoS was working properly it would have throttled that speed test down to a reasonable speed to allow for a reliable connection for my game.  All in all I think this is a poor implementation of QoS, but honestly this is not the only consumer router that hasn't gotten it right.  It's a little frustrating that even the most expensive consumer routers can't get this feature right.  It might be time to buy an open source router like the ones Linksys, Netgear, and Asus provide and install DD-WRT or Tomato.

classmaker

@scrawner: Thank you, thank you, thank you!  What a great work-around, versus the brain-dead "automatic" setting!

Summary:    Upstream Bandwidth   [Manual]   [myuplinkspeed+2]   [Mbps].

That works, to "over budget" the upstream bandwidth, adding 2Mbps to my nominal upload bandwidth.

You guys had discovered/discussed the 2MB apparent cap with "automatic" upstream. I never saw much over 1.5 Mbps, but my pipe is provisioned for much more! So, I ran speedtests on my modem speed directly, Cat-5 LAN cable to my Moto SB6120 cable modem.Then tweaked the E3000 (as above). Now, I'm getting nearly the same pass-through on the router as I got when bypassing it and going direct. And my VOIP phones get QoS treatment, too!

This solution has saved me some anguish and expense, as I was ready to dump the E3000. Now it really works!!!

So, you have provided the knowledge that the Cisco helpline folks failed to provide. THANKS AGAIN!  

Cheers y'all ;-)

--KR

FYI: I use QoS, mostly for two VOIP phones, some iTunes, and a messenger or two. My VOIP phonesare ACN "Iris V" Video Phones, and they can use SIP or STUN servers, with some port range triggering. They ran fine without SIP ALG, but I've turned that on for comparison. SIP ALG seems to work at least as well as using STUN servers, maybe better.

The video phones and other services are available through my storefront, classmaker dot acndirect dot com

SeattleLee

@scrawner: Thank you, thank you, thank you! I had my QoS upstream bandwidth set to Auto (seemed logical at the time...) I was just about to throw my E3000 out when I found your post. Now I get 10Mbps upload instead of 1...