Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
2Bears
Accepted Solution

E3000 and external HD (USB and Ethernet

[ Edited ]

I learned my first lesson the hard way.  "Assuming" that because you are purchasing a new router that it will work with other new technology hardware.  Cisco needs to print somewhere in the product descriptions of their router specs that there are size limitations on external harddrives.  I got burned after purchasing a 3TB WD 3.0 USB hard drive that I can not use on my current E3000 or the their latest E4200.  At least support knew that answer fairly fast.  My bad for not taking the time to think I would have to search this website to find the short list of external USB drives that will work with the E3000.

All I wanted to do was store my media files on a shared network drive.  I am cheating the system now and using a shared drive on the main PC.  The whole point of my project is not to have the main PC running to share media.

So before I go scrap this 60 day old router, has anyone had any experience on using WDs My Life 2TB ETHERNET connection external HD? 

Does anyone actually have one of these drives installed on a E3000 using win xp pro?  I did search high and low here, but could not find a list of acceptable external Ethernet drives or size limitations.

Burnt once, lesson learned, will not get burnt again.

Thanks'

shazam27

Re: E3000 and external HD (USB and Ethernet

I too am looking for some information regarding drives supported by the E3000.  I bought a Belkin that only supported drives under 1TB, hoping this Linksys supports bigger drives....

Kind of a serious limitation to have a media server that can only host a single hard drive that is relatively small....

shazam27

Carrot

I think maximum size of HD supported by these routers is 1.5 TB.

MoldCAD

OK, so we know the size limit, but at least equally important is the HDD connection performance. To those who're actually using Linksys routers with USB storage link: what kind of bandwidth are you getting? Is it close to the USB or LAN limits, or is it further reduced by the router hardware?

2Bears

The list you posted was for the USB drives.

What I am looking for is the list for ETHERNET drives, if such a list exists.  Specifically is anyone using the WD My Life 2TB ETHERNET connected media drive?

Is anyone using successfully an Ethernet cabled drive to the router?

Carrot

If your External Drive support Ethernet then you will be able to use it with your Router.

Hardwired the External Drive to your Router using an Ethernet Cable, Then login to the setup page of the Router and click on the Status tab and below click on the sub tab "Local Network" and then click on "DHCP Client" in the DHCP client table list you will find the IP address for External Drive. Using that IP address you can map the drive on your computer.

To map the drive on your computer click on Start - RUN - type "\\External Drive IP Address" and click ok... When prompted for the username and password type the username and password click OK, now you should be able to see the folders which you have created, right click on it and select Map network drive and click on finish.

dallasfanmatt

I have an Iomega 2TB hard drive that works fine...

2Bears wrote:

I learned my first lesson the hard way.  "Assuming" that because you are purchasing a new router that it will work with other new technology hardware.  Cisco needs to print somewhere in the product descriptions of their router specs that there are size limitations on external harddrives.  I got burned after purchasing a 3TB WD 3.0 USB hard drive that I can not use on my current E3000 or the their latest E4200.  At least support knew that answer fairly fast.  My bad for not taking the time to think I would have to search this website to find the short list of external USB drives that will work with the E3000.

All I wanted to do was store my media files on a shared network drive.  I am cheating the system now and using a shared drive on the main PC.  The whole point of my project is not to have the main PC running to share media.

So before I go scrap this 60 day old router, has anyone had any experience on using WDs My Life 2TB ETHERNET connection external HD? 

Does anyone actually have one of these drives installed on a E3000 using win xp pro?  I did search high and low here, but could not find a list of acceptable external Ethernet drives or size limitations.

Burnt once, lesson learned, will not get burnt again.

Thanks'

t001z

[ Edited ]

******** I think maximum size of HD supported by these routers is 1.5 TB.********

This is definately not true.  I just plugged in a 2TB Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Drive into my router which had 1.0.03 firmware and it told me that it was not supported.  

First step was to update the firmware.  Updated it to 1.0.04 and BINGO saw all my folders, the size, everything.  I can read & write to it without a problem.

Just as an FYI, this is not on the "known to work list" as they intentionally keep that list small so they can point to the list and say it is not supported and it gets them off the hook.  This drive though is very common for all new Seagate drives and is the one with the "switchable base" that comes with a lot of newer drives.

As for the 3TB part, that takes a newer kernal that is simply not offered by most linux based appliances yet -- you may be able to hook it up to your Win7/Vista machine and create a partition up to 2.2 TB then another one with the remainder and it may work.  I have done this with other (similar types of devices) that connect to a 3TB USB drive with mixed results. YMMV!

Good luck.

MongoEric

I was just on the phone with Linksys for nearly 2 hours on connecting my new Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Desk 2TB drive to my E3000 using the USB port.

Finally they told me to reformat the drive to FAT32 (it is now NTFS). Before I do that I want to make sure I am doing the right thing.

I got a great deal on the drive, but am now thinking of going NAS. Maybe I could get that to work.

Any help would be appreciated.

Eric