Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
m.h2176
Accepted Solution

E3000 won't connect to Windows 7

My network configuration is simple.  2 wired computers and one laptop.  I bought an E3000 wireless router, connected it to a wired computer running XP and configured the router with no issues.  Next, I created an Easy Setup Key, and connected wired computer number 2, which is running Windows 7, to the router and ran the Easy Setup Key.   I ran the Easy Setup Key and I get a screen telling me that "Your router was not successfully set up".   I have noticed that as soon as I plug my Windows 7 computer into the router, the router begins an endless cycle of resetting.  As soon as I unplug the Windows 7 computer from the router, the router returns to normal and everything is fine.  There has to be a setting I'm missing to prevent this.  It's almost like the Windows 7 computer cannot establish a link with the router because the is no consistent connection between the 2 devices.  Has anyone encountered this before?

Thank you

dudztgp

Re: E3000 won't connect to Windows 7

Reset the router to default. Configure everything from scratch. Instead of using the software that came with the router, set it up manually.

For DSL, here's the procedure.

For Cable, here's the procedure.

m.h2176

I went through the manual setup instructions for cable and cloned the MAC address for the XP computer, so I connected the Windows 7 computer and the same thing keeps happening.  I have a stable internet connection on the XP computer until I connect the Windows 7 computer to the router.  When I connect it, the router starts resetting over and over, and the Network and Sharing Center tells me that it is trying to identify the network but can't.

mcannon-gso

[ Edited ]

Try changing the cable that you are using to connect the Win 7 pc to the router. Sometimes a faulty cable can cause this type of issue..

Also, FYI... When connecting a wired computer to the router, you DO NOT need to use the Easy Setup key. This key only has wireless information stored on it to make setting up easier. A wired computer just gets plugged into the router...

When wiring a computer to the router, the computer should be off, the cable plugged into the router and PC, then start your computer..

m.h2176

Thank you for your input, but I'm still getting the same results.  I have changed the ethernet cable and shut down the computer before plugging it into the router.  As soon as the computer boots up, the router starts cycling over and over and the Network and Sharing Center keeps trying to connect, but it is not seeing the router.  It says it is Identifying, but it can't. 

dudztgp

Does your win7 computer has wireless adapter? It seems that win7 computer can't connect using the ethernet cable. It might be an ethernet driver problem or the ethernet device itself. Also make sure that the ethernet device is set to obtain IP address from the router.
m.h2176

I have solved my own problem and I wanted to post my answer in case anyone runs into the same situation.  I have learned that my E3000 router was going into diagnostic mode whenever I would have 2 computers connected via a wired connection.  The XP box was operating just fine until I connected my Windows 7 box, then the router would go into diagnostic mode (kinda looked like the router was power cycling over and over).  After checking the IP addresses and making sure the IP world was correct, I turned off the wireless capabilities of the router ( since, I was not worried about wireless connectivity atm) and I was good as gold.  Both computers could see each other and internet connectivity was achieved.  The router stopped going into diagnostic mode and my problem was solved.  I also have a laptop that I am wanting to connect to this network and it has a built in wireless G adapter.  I turned on the 2.4 band and set it to wireless G only and now I have connectivity with the laptop also.  So, it seems broadcasting in both bands was conflicting with something.  I am kind of stumped why the wireless broadcasts would interfere with my wired connections, but there you have it.   I thought both bands were supposed to broadcast at the same time.  Am I correct in my assumption?  What do I do if a wireless N adapter wants to be introduced to the network, since I can't dual broadcast?  

I would like to thank everyone that provided their assistance with my issue.  Your help was greatly appreciated.

dudztgp

Good thing you found a temporary solution as long as it solves the problem. I can't tell what caused the problem but wireless shouldn't be interfering with wired connection.

Anyway, to enable wireless N, just set the operating mode to auto instead of wireless G only.

I'd suggest if you have time, try different settings. Also make sure to upgrade the firmware if necessary as this can resolve certain router issues.

For now, click "Accept as Solution" on your post so whenever someone needs assistance, the answer is highlighted.