dann641

E3200 with WRT-610N

Recently purchased an e3200 Router to replace my WRT-610N, for home use. I would now like to use my WRT610N as the upstairs Access Point and/or Bridge. I have Cat6 cabling between both units. I have a mixed network of Win XP and Win 7.

I have read nearly all I could find on this topic. I've also tried all of the solutions that were put out there, no success.

What I am attempting to do:

1. Have each computer on the network see and communicate with the other. I have tried the Lan/Lan connectivity, no luck with all of the computers, ping works with some and not others.

2. Have the two USB External drives, one on each router, accessible from any computer. Currently one or the other will give me a message that says +The attached USB Device is not supported. It seems like I can get one but not both operational.

Am I asking too much from these routers? I do appreciate any responses, ideas,or direction with this setup.....Thanks.

Dan the Ham
Expert
Expert

Re: E3200 with WRT-610N

You didn't read most of the threads on this topic. It's been asked and answered a couple of times every day in these forums...

See here: http://homecommunity.cisco.com/t5/Wireless-Routers/Connecting-two-routers-wired-the-definitive-answe...
dann641

Thanks for the link. I have seen your link and many others with the same directions. I've used the Lan to Lan connection exclusively. I have followed everything as written however am unable to get the computers to see each other, even though I have the second router set on an unused IP address. I've made sure that the second router had DHCP Server disabled in addition to NAT disabled, still no results. I can occasionally ping the first router, depending on the configuration. I've done a clean reset on the second router several times before doing the setup, still no help.

Also one of my main issues is whether ot not I can have two separate Storage devices on the same "broadcast" domain. I'm  wondering since the second router is acting like a bridge, if that has anything to do with the "storage devices" ???

Thanks for your help. I'll try again, maybe I missed something.

Dan the Ham
Expert
Expert

Sorry. But what you write is very confusing. I have posted a link which describes exactly how you have supposed to set it up.

But then you write "depending on the configuration", so obviously you seem to keep changing settings. As you have trouble pinging the first router occiasionally depending on the configuration that needs to be fixed before you bother with anything else.

As you don't post the exact configuration of both routers, it is however impossible to tell whether you have configured it correctly or not.

Please post the exact configuration of both routers and how they are connected NOW.
dann641

Sorry about the configuration part. What I was referring to was the different configurations that I tried, NAT vs.no NAT, LAN/LAN vs LAN/INTERNET configs.

I have resolved part of the issue. I found that the Norton Trust level was not allowing access to the various computers on my network. As soon as I altered the settings, they can now see each other.

After spending nearly two hours on the telephone with various "Offshore" Cisco/Linksys support folks, it was determined that I had a defective E3200, that they will replace it since it is under warranty. They were unable to get the E3200 to recognize my USB external drive.

Thanks again for your time. Best of luck in the New Year...........

Dan the Ham