roble

E4200 Bridge Mode + Guest Access?

Hi,

I'm trying to set up my E4200 in "Bridge Mode," but want to enable a few things in the wireless settings, such as:

a) choosing SSIDs and network keys,

b) enable Guest Access

I've been able to get things working without too much hassle:

* factory reset

* set wireless SSIDs and network keys

* enable guess access and set password

* turn on bridge mode

Everything is basically fine, except that when the device goes into bridge mode it seems that it shuts off *all* web UI. This kind of makes sense, but do I actually understand that correcty? (Or have I simply not found the right connection method?)

If so, it leads to a couple follow-on questions:

a) How do I disable Bridge Mode if I want to change any settings? (Is the answer just 'factory reset'?)

b) Can Guest Access mode work in Bridge Mode?

So far, I have not been successful in getting the device to display the login page for Guest Access. I'm not sure if that's a config problem with Guest Access or if that just doesn't work in Bridge Mode.

Any tips/advice appreciated.

thx

Expert
Expert

Re: E4200 Bridge Mode + Guest Access?

When in bridge mode you should still be able to access the E4200 on it's LAN IP address (at least from a wired computer).

I think guest network works with bridge mode.
hiptechboy

Ok, just to clarify... as gv said, you'll have to access the E4200 from its new lan ip which you can find in the main router's DHCP table. From there you can change the settings and even take it out of bridge mode.

Yes, the guest network feaature still works in bridge mode and my laptop took about 1-2 minutes  to identify the network so that I could enter in the password in my web browser. I guess it takes awhile when you log onto the guest network for the first time, so try to be patient. 

I don't work for Cisco. I'm just here to help.
herot80

OK, I am here to settle this matter. It is possible to use guest network in bridge mode AND separate all other computers except your gateway to the internet from guest clients (guest isolation). 

here is how:

1. Change subnet on your internet gateway local LAN interface. I used 255.255.248.0 (for example if your LAN network is 192.0.10.0 , making this change will allow your gateway router to talk to computers on 192.0.12.0)

2. Set the E4200 in bridge mode. Also use a 255.255.248.0 subnet. You will also need to use a local LAN ip address that is outside your normal LAN network (local LAN network = 192.0.10.0 so make your E4200 ip = 192.0.12.50 (or whatever)).

3. On E4200 enable all wireless but password them and enable guest.

4. Connect the WAN port on E4200 to LAN port on gateway OR switch.

5. Connect to guest network and try to ping 192.0.10.0 computers. You should not be able to. Now try to access the internet. You should be able to.

Because all device other than your internet gateway will still have subnets of 255.255.255.0, wireless guest clients cannot talk to them because they are on different subnets. Likewise, since your internet gateway now has a subnet = 255.255.248.0 it can talk to hosts on networks = 192.0.8.0 - 192.0.15.0 (which includes the guest network range)

BTW, you can now have up to 2046 computers on your network.

Any questions???

Expert
Expert

What's the purpose of the whole thing?

In bridge mode, the guest network is isolated from the remaining LAN network.

And giving fake public IP addresses in examples is not very helpful either.

Plus, Linksys internet routers and gateways don't allow you to set a LAN subnet mask larger than 255.255.255.0. Thus that won't be possible with a Linksys device.
herot80

[ Edited ]

You don't know what you're talking about. I am running this setup in a production enviornment. I assure you, that you most certainly can set the subnet mask higher than 255.255.255.0 Mine is set at 255.255.248.0 as stated. Why the heck would you think you wouldn't be able to use subnets other than 255.255.255.0 ??? Bridge mode does NOT seperate the AP from the rest of the LAN if 255.255.255.0 subnet is used (not in bridge mode anyway). I have tested that. If you have other computers on the network that need to access the 255.255.248.0 you can set those individual computers subnets to match that. You should do some testing before trying to debunk a helpful post.

The public ip's I gave are just for example. People should know they can use the 172.16 , 192.168 , 10.0 if they want to.

Expert
Expert

0. Watch your mouth! Insulting others won't help your case.

1. Linksys routers don't allow you to set a subnet mask larger than 255.255.255.0. That's the way it has been for years and still is.

Compare the demo ui for the E4200v2: http://ui.linksys.com/files/E4200/2.0.25/

There is a drop down for the LAN subnet mask. You can choose only a subnet 255.255.255.0 or smaller.

I do know very well about what I am talking about.

2. This thread is about guest access and the separation of the guest network. The guest network IS isolated from the rest of the network. There is a simple IP filter on the E4200 which will only let the guest traffic go into the internet and not into the LAN. That has been confirmed by a couple of people.

3. Bridge mode won't separate the general (non-guest) wireless traffic from your LAN traffic. On the contrary: you can easily change the LAN subnet mask on your wireless client and access anything you want.
herot80

[ Edited ]
0. People if you want to use bridge mode + guest without guest being able to access all other computers on your local LAN, then enjoy my solution and ignore the expert.

1. There is no drop down box to choose subnets on my E4200 router. I typed my subnet in (255.255.248.0).

2. The guest network is normally seperated from the LAN, but not in bridge mode. That has been confirmed by ME.

3. Doesn't matter about general wireless traffic. I am talking about guest only. I just tested and found that if I manually enter IP settings on my wireless client I can't get through the guest password screen. It only worked when I let DHCP do it.

Expert
Expert

As I wrote before: other people confirmed that bridge mode separated guest traffic from the main traffic. Nothing to add to that.

As I wrote before: your solution won't work if the main router is a Linksys device. You can set any subnet mask in bridge mode on your E4200 and connect the E4200 to your main router. But if the main router/gateway is a Linksys device that won't help you. As a couple of people in this forum have a all-Linksys network setting the LAN subnet mask to 255.255.248.0 is no solution. It's not possible with a Linksys router.

In your post before you wrote "Bridge mode does NOT seperate the AP from the rest of the LAN" which doesn't say in any way that you refer only on the guest traffic and not on the general wireless traffic. Thus my comment 3.

herot80

[ Edited ]

Dude buddy. This is your post:

Expert

Re: E4200 Guest Network Not Working [ Edited ]

It's not possible to use guest access in bridge mode. Guest access is only possible when the E4200 operates as router. In bridge mode any wireless network goes directly into the same LAN. Guest separation would not be possible.

Also don't disable the SSID broadcast.

http://homecommunity.cisco.com/t5/Wireless-Routers/E4200-Guest-Network-Not-Working/td-p/406345/highl...

What I'm saying is that it is possible and that I am doing just that on our LAN here at work.

You pegged me on the linksys devices not allowing higher subnets. Alas, I am used to using DD-WRT and Tomato for years now (where you can use any subnet mask) and took for granted that I have not seen a stock linksys GUI in a long time. However, in bridge mode on the E4200 you are able to set subnet masks as you wish...