Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
NoelC
Accepted Solution

E4200 Downlink Speed Limited to 6 Mbps

I posted this in the wired forum, because it's the wired speed that is limited, but it looks like there's more E4200 expertise over here, so here it is again:

I have Hotwire fiber service and the plan is supposed to provide 20 megabit downlink speeds.

I just bought a Linksys/Cisco E4200 to replace an old Dell TrueMobile 2300 from 2004.  With that router I got the full advertised downlink speed.

Now, when I run a speed test with the E4200 in place, the downlink speed is only 5168 kbps or so.  Watching the speed test meters, I see the data arriving in bursts, every few seconds a whole lot of it gets through, then for a second or two nothing.  It's pretty regular.

But, if I run a speed test with the ONT cable plugged right into  a laptop, I see 19001 kbps - close enough to 20.  This is the same cable that plugs into the back of the router.

With E4200 in place

Direct into laptop

SpeedTestDirect.jpg

Any ideas what I can check or configure in the E4200 to change this behavior? 

-Noel

NoelC

Re: E4200 Downlink Speed Limited to 6 Mbps

OK, doing the mindless thing and going through all the configs and just trying options and re-testing each time, I found the setting that seems to have circumvented the problem...

I enabled MAC Address Clone (it was disabled by default) and cloned my PC's MAC.

I can only guess there was some issue between the Motorola ONT and the router.  Maybe they don't like Cisco and arbitrarily limit the speed if they sense a Cisco Mac address?  I know, that's a stretch.

Anyway, I'm happy.

-Noel

davidssw

That's odd, as a new owner of a Refurb E4200 V1 (from the CISCO store) I took my netbook into the computer room and connected it directly to one of the ports on my E4200 with Comcast Blast internet (powerboost) 30Mbps/6Mbps

I tested using their nearest server (approx. 60 miles away)

Wired

29.61 Mbps / 6.24 Mbps

Wireless (and this netbook does not have a very good wireless card b/g/n Only, No 5Ghz)

21.65 Mbps / 5.92 Mbps

You might also want to take a look at smallnetbuilder.com they have reviews/test results of both the V1 and V2 E4200's

davidssw

I see you already found the answer!  Glad you got it working.

I know Comcast must register a mac address for each account so in theory if your mac address is not in their database they wouldn't allow you to establish a connection so I'd guess you might have been ending somewhere other than hotwire.

NoelC

Thanks for your response.

It does seem odd that the speed should be limited per Mac address, but it was pretty clearly some kind of throttling activity, because it was regular.  Just changing the Mac address the router presents to Hotwire and now it's blazing.

Ookla has stopped making new images for some reason, but here's what I see now with another test site using the changed Mac address...

SpeedTestResult.jpg

-Noel