Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
comerbuck
Accepted Solution

E4200 - Slow internet download speed

New install of E4200 router (replaced old 54GS w/ dd-wrt firmware)

ISP - Comcast Business class 16/2 rated

PC connected directly to Comcast gateway I get approx 18 down and 5 up (w/ PowerBoost)

PC connect to E4200 then Comcast gateway and  I get a solid 9.45 down and 5 up

I can switch back and forth and results are consistant ...

Old 54GS was getting same as direct to gateway

Any ideas why the E4200 is cutting my download speed ih half (thankfully upload stays the same!)?

comerbuck

Re: E4200 - Slow internet download speed [RESOLVED]

Problem resolved ...

Port 1 on the Comcast gateway was locked at 10 MB for some reason, moved PC connection to Port 2 and back to what things should be for 16/2 with PowerBoost, Speedtest is reporting 28 down & 5 up ... Yeah!! Must be a bad port on the Comcast gateway!

Mort

Good to know that you were able to solve your problem :smileyhappy: Enjoy.

annabellecomplete

Interesting. I tried setting the 2.5G to channel 2 and got the same behavior as I did on channel 1. I have Comcast too. Then I read that, if you have Comcast, you should use channel 1,6, or 11. Now I don't know why or even if this is true but I shifted to channel 6 and my problem "went away" except that I too am seeing slower wireless than wired. Cisco connect show me getting about 1/3 of a direct Cisco Connect and Speedtest.net shows me getting about 2/3's of the speed with wireless. This is disappointing but much better than when I used channels 1 or 2. A wired connection to the router does not show reduced speed.

The speed results seem to be real. I have been working with an old b/g card on my Dell which has security programs that might have been part of the problem. I bought a new Toshiba with a b/g/n and connected when only the antivirus was running. The speeds are the same on the Toshiba as they were on the Dell, so it doesn't look like the slow down is coming from the computer.

However, despite the above slower speed problem, I no longer have disconnects or lack of response from a live connection. Also, I don't see the wild fluctuations in speeds as reported by my computer's network connection software, the Cisco software, and Speedtest.net. I also don't know exactly what those speeds are but when the computer connection software reports went down from 54 Mbps to below 11 or below I lost the use of the wireless. This would occur within minutes (sometimes seconds) of a total reboot of everything. OK, knock on wood, at least I am staying connected with stable, usable, but reduced speeds. Also, the router seems to be operating it's functions well and is easy to manage. In addition to the Toshiba connecting without a glitch, I moved on and added a USB shared drive on the USB port. It took immediately and was the setup was trivial. Both computers see and can share the drive.

mlozhkin

Re: E4200 - Slow internet download speed

[ Edited ]

I also have ane4200. My connection type to the internet is PPTP. And e4200 cuts download speed in 2 times. When i connect ethernet (internet) cable directly to the PC, download speed comes back to normal. why is this happening?

miksmi21

Same here ever since upgrading to the latest firmware.  Seems it fixed some things, and degraded others.

njweb

[ Edited ]

miksmi21 wrote:

Same here ever since upgrading to the latest firmware.  Seems it fixed some things, and degraded others.

Thanks for the feedback. That sucks.

After upgrading the firmware, did you do a reset or not?

Just wondering since if you did perform a reset you may not have re-configured it, after upgrading, to all the same custom settings you had before (channel settings, different SSIDs for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz etc.).

Did you install, update or upgrade any software, patches, make any settings changes or add any hardware around the same time?

I only briefly used the new firmware on the E4200 I returned (was working fine but it exhibited the flashing light syndrome) and it seemed to be okay but I did not use it long enough to be see if it would have created any issue like the ones you're facing although it could be setup specific and concidental in timing.

louis2

louis2

Definitly NOK: E4200 - Slow internet download speed

[ Edited ]

Sorry for this empty report. The reason is that this forum is not working properly with IE9 (I know now).

Sincerely,

Louis

Writen using Firefox

louis2

Definitely NOK(2): E4200 - Slow internet download speed

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I also noticed that there is a severe wifi throughput problem in the E4200 software. After some time from both the original wifi up- and download speed, there is only a few kbit left.

For info

• using 2.4 Ghz band (5KHz = OFF (I do not have 5G clients))
  • after some time days/weeks the wifi data throughput is reduced to only few kbit (up and down affected)
  • wifi signal quallity is still OK
  • wired throughput is not affected
  • I am using a 1G wired network with jumbo frames
  • the wifi is used "N"
  • router is using latest path (1001010)
  • guest access allowed (oeps! another issue, no wpa there)

I do not know what triggers the problem or how fast the routers throughput is degrading over days/weeks

Sincerely,

Louis