njweb

E4200 V1 vs V2 tests anyone?

[ Edited ]

I saw a review in the major internet publication that compared the two routers including charts but am curious if users here experienced the same thing.

It seems, from their review, that long range throughput on BOTH 2.4 GHz and 5 Ghz is actually better with the V1!

Short range 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz performance is higher with the V2 (I will need to revisit their charts to re-confirm this).

I personally am more concerned about long range performance...

Perhaps firmware can improve on this in the V2.

Aside from this CNet review, has anyone here done any side by side throughput tests of the E4200 V1 versus the E4200 V2 (e.g. with LAN Speed Test by Totusoft or other similar utility)?

As an E4200 V1 (and RE1000 range expander), I am naturally curious.

peanuts

Re: E4200 V1 vs V2 tests anyone?

There won't any difference between E4200 v1 and E4200 v2 in features. The only thing that has added in the E4200 v2 is the Support for the WAN L2TP and PPTP protocols. The features for both the versions will be the same like:

• Simultaneous Dual-Band N (2.4 & 5 GHz)

• Gigabit Ethernet 4-port switch

• Maximum speed up to 450 Mbps

• USB port for shared storage

• Built-In UPnP AV media server

Second, E4200 v2 has an added feature like:

1. The v2 will support up to 50 Guest Users when Configured via the UI. Also the new default guest password if it has not been configured or changed via Cisco Connect is: BeMyGuest (yes case sensitive)

2. If you do not know the IP address of the router, or are just not in the mood to take a trip to DOS or check the actual IP address (hopefully this doesn't happen often) You can now access the router no matter what the address is by typing in: myrouter.local into the browser

3. Access restrictions now only supports Parental Controls style filtering (Time and Website Based). The Internet Access Policy has been removed to further simplify the configuration of Parental Controls and Restrictions.

There won't be any lose of speed if configured with the proper settings. E4200 router is a Simultaneous Dual-Band N (2.4 & 5 GHz) router.

hiptechboy

Let's not forget the inclusion of a 1.2ghz processor which translates to significantly faster NAS speeds. 

SmallNetBuilder should post a review soon if you want a better comparison of the two routers. Cnet did their test in an office with interference from other wireless devices and I'm not sure how consistent their testing procedures are.

I don't work for Cisco. I'm just here to help.
njweb

hiptechboy wrote:

Let's not forget the inclusion of a 1.2ghz processor which translates to significantly faster NAS speeds. 

SmallNetBuilder should post a review soon if you want a better comparison of the two routers. Cnet did their test in an office with interference from other wireless devices and I'm not sure how consistent their testing procedures are.

Thanks. SNB reviewed the E4200 v2 as you may have seen.

I ended up giving my Linksys E4200 v1 and RE1000 to my parents, to replace their old WRT54G (which served its purpose over the years) who offered me their 32" LCD HDTV in return (they just got a new 3D 40"). This was instead of the small amount of cash I was asking (was giving them a big break and they deserve it).

The main reason is that my Amped R10000 router is much better in terms of wireless signal strength AND actual throughput at every location (three) I tried the two (controlled conditions).

I am, however, wondering whether the R10000 supports IPv6 (called Amped support and was on hold a while before I had to run).

Having also not been impressed with the Zyxel NBG5715, I may try the Asus RT-N66U (in an effort to get IPv6 and gigabit ports that are lacking, at least the latter, in the R10000).

If wifi performance of the RT-N66U is close to that of the R10000 (probably won't be but I am certainly willing to give it a shot), I will keep that.

If not, I'll keep the Amped and look into the upcoming gigabit version...

I still would prefer IPv6 as well though (I will call Amped back) but we can't have it all.

If all else fails, I can wait for 802.11ac (hopefully end of this year or early next year acc to SNB) which will be out before I really need IPv6.