08-12-2011 02:27 PM
I'm having a problem with Wake on Lan. (I'll bet you never guessed from the title, eh?). I have an E4200 and I can not get WoL to work over the internet.
* I have the latest firmware
* I'm using Depricus' WoL tool
* I can get it to internally wake from my laptop when docked using my DDNS address (shawn.dynamicservice.com) and magic packets
* I can get it to internally wake from my laptop undocked using shawn.dynamicservice.com, but ONLY using the subnet
* WoL with my undocked laptop does not work when using the internet with shawn.dynamicservice.com
* I am using port 7 and it is correctly forwarded to a static IP address using DHCP reservation
(I'm assuming it's not actually going out to the internet when I wirelessly wake it using shawn.dynamicservice.com and the subnet, but rather the DDNS name is being resolved through the ARP cache, but I don't know. I'm still learning)
Consequently, if the sentence above in parenthesis is correct, I am unable to perform WoL from outside my LAN. What am I missing?
08-13-2011 04:02 PM
Did you uncheck the option 'Filter Anonymous Internet Requests' under the security tab?
Check, weather the port (7) is opened through the router or not? You can use any third party online port scanner to check this.
08-13-2011 07:30 PM
Yes, anonymous filtering was unchecked and I had singularly forwarded ports 7 and 9 to the static IP address set up in the DHCP, trying UDP, TCP, then both. (I was desperate!). Then I forwarded both ports doing the same thing, UDP, TCP, both. I know it uses UDP, but again, I was desperate. I turned off the firewalls completely and again, as a last resort, I put the computer to be woke up in the DMZ to no avail. It's the firmware (= I'm unimpressed with my first Cisco purchase).
08-16-2011 03:56 PM
Wake on LAN is one of the issue resolved under:
Hope it helps...