Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
goodemh
Accepted Solution

E4200 connecting a Wired printer

Is there a way to setup a Wired printer to this router?  connected directly to E4200 via patch cord?

hiptechboy

Re: E4200 connecting a Wired printer

Yea just plug it in and use the software that came with the printer to set it up. Or you can use add a printer under devices and printers in Windows 7. I'm not sure what it's called on a Mac if you have one. 

I don't work for Cisco. I'm just here to help.
goodemh

The add a printer option in the software is looking for a WireLESS printer not a wired connection.

Windows allows the add but the printer remains offline.  something in the router is preventing a connection

hiptechboy

What is the brand and model number of the printer?

I don't work for Cisco. I'm just here to help.
KoRnGtL15

No printer support yet for the E4200. That is why its not working.
NoahOne

[ Edited ]

You can set up a wired printer connected to the E4200 for any printer that is Ethernet enabled, and there is no need to wait for an update from Cisco. I have been using the method described below for wired printers for many years, and it has not failed yet. You will need access to the printer's setup menu one time to identify its IP address on your network. 

The really tricky and completely non-intuitive part (thanks Microsoft) is that you will set the printer up as a LOCAL printer. Pay very close attention to the step I pasted below. Even though you are connecting your printer to your router on the network, you MUST select “Local printer attached to this computer” during setup.  This step configures the LOCAL standard TCP/IP port that needs to exist on the PC. You need to repeat this process on each PC that you want to  use the printer with.

The CRITICAL step is:

Select "Local printer attached to this computer" AND uncheck "Automatically detect and install my Plug and Play printer" 

After you step though this carefully for the first time, you will be amazed at how simple this is. I am currently using this process with the E4200 and two HP printers. I have also used it with a 5 year old D-Link model, and I’ve set up several network printers for friends and family.

To give credit to the original author, the entire process can be found here:

http://blog.jayfields.com/2006/05/setting-up-printer.html

The entire process is:

Steps to printer nirvana:

1. Print the configuration of the printer to get the printer's IP address
  2. Plug in to the same network the printer is on. (ping if necessary to find out)
  3. Open the windows add printer wizard
  4. Select "Local printer attached to this computer" AND uncheck "Automatically detect and install my Plug and Play printer"
  5. Select "Create a new port:"
  6. Set "Type of port:" to "Standard TCP/IP Port"
  7. The Add Standard TCP/IP Printer Port Wizard should appear, click Next
  8. Enter the IP address into the "Printer Name or IP Address" textbox
  9. Use the default "Port Name", click Next (The 2nd wizard should close)

10. Select your printer from the list

11. Give your new printer a name

12. Do not share, print a test page, and click Finish because you are done.

I have successfully used the process above with routers and printers from multiple manufacturers. I think that the instructions above were originally written for XP, but setup for Windows 7 32/64 bit is very similar. I can confirm that the process works for Windows 7..

goodemh

perfect.  worked great.  not sure why the local printer option works here