Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
kirkh

E4200 continuous flashing issue: Linksys support, can we get some feedback?

A few people in the "E-4200 My Review so far - I will answer any questions you have" thread (myself included) are experiencing the continuous flashing of the "Cisco" light on top of the router.  Please see the aforementioned thread for details.

We've checked the manuals.

We've talked to tech support.

We've exchanged routers.

We've reset the routers dozens of times.

Nothing seems to work.

Can we just get some feedback on this?  I'd be glad to provide feedback as to the settings I'm using in order to reproduce this problem, because, well, I can't not reproduce it.

Even if it can't be fixed right away, I'd just like to know that it's actually being looked at and that it'll probably just be fixed by a future firmware upgrade.  Any feedback would be great!

Thanks,

kirkh

mahbub

Re: E4200 continuous flashing issue: Linksys support, can we get some feedback?

ddtrent

kirkh

I'm curious-- did you use the cisco cd or did you set up the router manually???  My thought is the cd causes more problem that it cures.  After researchig I've found that many folks disregard the cd and setup manually-- as I did. ???

swyck

Can anyone give me some information on what exactly the blinking light on the router means? I can connect to the internet fine so apparently everything's working.
rickandrade

I had the same blinking.  For me it was a neighbors wireless printer that had connected to my network but obviously could not authenticate.  I found it by using the web configuration 'wireless', 'Wireless MAC configuration', and clicking the 'wireless client list'.  From here I could see the offending unit and I blocked it.  Since I did this no more blinking light.  After three days of no blinking, I tested it by allowing the printer access again.  Within minutes, the blinking started.  Againg I configured to block the printer and blinking stopped.

majorbullet
csnowman11

Solution ---> E4200 continuous flashing issue

[ Edited ]

From my experience - The light flashing issue with the Cisco Linksys E4200 series Wireless N Router is directly related to the routers Wireless configuration / setup.

I have found if a Wireless MAC access list is maintained versus being disabled, the blinking will stop.

Try the following and let us know how these settings work for you.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Log into your E4200 Router and go to the Wireless tab,
  2. Click on the sub-menu Wireless MAC Filter,
  3. Select Enabled button,
  4. Select Permit PCs listed ... button,
  5. Enter your allowed wireless device MAC address inside the Client List area,
  6. Don't forget to ---> SAVE SETTINGS
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------snapshot1.jpg

... Chris

njweb

[ Edited ]

rickandrade wrote:

I had the same blinking.  For me it was a neighbors wireless printer that had connected to my network but obviously could not authenticate.  I found it by using the web configuration 'wireless', 'Wireless MAC configuration', and clicking the 'wireless client list'.  From here I could see the offending unit and I blocked it.  Since I did this no more blinking light.  After three days of no blinking, I tested it by allowing the printer access again.  Within minutes, the blinking started.  Againg I configured to block the printer and blinking stopped.

Thanks!

So I was on the right track then! I thought it might be MY wireless printer and therefore disabled the wireless on my printer (was not using it), months ago.

I did not, however, think it was my neighbor's though since tech support by phone  gave me different answers about the root cause of the flashing logo light, none of which was the correct one). They were friendly but could not help to resolve it.

I do see one 'connected' MAC address (in my E4200's wireless client list) that I do not recognize.

Ironically though, it is not flashing (last few days I did not see it flash, although the RE1000 as (that also seems to have stopped).

I will block the potentially-offending MAC address I do not recognize (if something stops working, then I will know that I disabled one of my own devices - I went through the list in my head and everything was already accounted for in the other devices listed in the wireless client list though).

Interestingly, while going through this exercise, I happened to notice that my RE1000's  (range extender's) MAC address on the box does not exactly match the one on the wireless client list! The last digit is a 1 instead of a 3. Let me check the sticker on the unit itself.

PirateDad73

Re: Solution ---> E4200 continuous flashing issue

How do you log into your Linksys E4200 router?  I had it connected to the internet, used the CD to initially set it up, but no files exist on my laptop that suggest I can log into the router.  The blinking started when I appeared to have reset the router successfully, it then said there was a software update for the router so I proceeded to do that...it errored out, asked me to unplug the router and plug it back in, wait 2 minutes and begin the setup again.  Well when I unplugged and plugged it back in, it immediately started the continuous flashing and nothing so far has fixed it.  I've only had the thing two months now.

hiptechboy

You type in 192.168.1.1 into your web browser and enter in the password which is "admin" if you haven't changed it.

I would suggest resetting the router first (hold the reset button for 30seconds) if you are going to do an upgrade. The default password will be admin after the reset. Then download the firmware  and upload it to the router by going to the administration tab, then "firmware upgrade". Don't use the CD to set it up. Use the web interface @ 192.168.1.1 to change the wireless password and all that. Make sure you connect to the router using an ethernet cable, NOT wirelessly. 

I don't work for Cisco. I'm just here to help.
PirateDad73

It's not recognizing that my router exists. My internet cable is plugged into the Internet slot on back of router and I have another Ethernet cable from one of the 1-4 slots on the router to my laptop. I cannot connect to Internet to log into the router. I'm guessing the problem with the blinking has completely disabled the router, but I still hope it's fixable somehow. I've tried resetting the router using the hole on back of router several times. It acts as though it's rebooting but then reverts back to the one blink per second flashing. Any other suggestions?