help me configure my system. I guess in short is there something I can connect
all of my equipment to (wirelessly) i.e. 4200 then plug something into the 4200
that would allow me to connect to his wireless network.  I do have to use
an SSID and password to connect.  Any help or direction you could point me
in would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Ryan Miller

RogerSC

Re: E4200

I think that you would have to configure your E4200 as an access point, which assumes that there is a wired connection that you can connect one of the LAN ports on the E4200 to.  Briefly, you would disable DHCP and UPNP on the E4200, and set the wireless channel on the E4200 to a channel that isn't used by the building owner.   And don't use the WAN port on the E4200. 

I don't think that you could configure the E4200 as a bridge and then also use the wireless from the E4200, since that's more of a repeater application that I don't think that the E4200 supports.  If you set up the E4200 as a bridge, you would have to connect another router to the E4200 as an access point.

hiptechboy

If I were in your situation and had no access whatsoever to a wired port (as you said), I would install DD-Wrt (3rd party firmware) and configure the E4200 as a "repeater bride". I'm not sure whether or not all of the E4200's features work with the latest build, but the build for my wrt310n worked well when I used this mode (just for experimental testing). 

Installing the firmware is simple (basically reset the router and upload the firmware) and the guide is pretty easy to follow. 

I don't work for Cisco. I'm just here to help.
Ka3ohl

Someone had told me I could connect a WET610/WES610 to the E4200 using the 610 as a bridge.  This place has 5 access points and I need to use the access point closest to me. Also, I don't have access to plug into his hub and besides it is too far away.     Thanks fort the input,  Ryan

scrooge

There are two ways to connect:

1. LAN to LAN – Connecting one of the Ethernet ports (LAN ports) of the Linksys router to one of the Ethernet ports (LAN ports) of the main router.

This connection makes the computers connected to both routers to be on the same LAN IP segment.  This will allow sharing of resources within the network.  For instructions, click here.

2. LAN to WAN – Connecting one of the Ethernet ports (LAN ports) of the mainrouter to the Internet port (WAN port) of the Linksys router.

This connection makes it easier to identify which router the computers are connected to since they will have different LAN IP segments.

Here is the link for the configuration:

http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?vw=1&docid=785463d9ecaf4cac84aed245b08d615f_3733.xml&pid=80&r...

hiptechboy

Ka3ohl wrote:

Someone had told me I could connect a WET610/WES610 to the E4200 using the 610 as a bridge.  This place has 5 access points and I need to use the access point closest to me. Also, I don't have access to plug into his hub and besides it is too far away.     Thanks fort the input,  Ryan

You could do that if you don't want to put third party firmware onto the router. It's unnecessary, but defenitely possible.
I don't work for Cisco. I'm just here to help.
bohochic323

[ Edited ]

get the WES610N.  has 4 ports if you plan on providing any of your devices with a wired connection.  But yeah... i do agree with hiptechboy.  It is unnecessary. 

Get a range expander instead.  But I couldn't guarantee it could give you the best wireless signal as it is only a wireless repeater. 

"Don't fix it if it ain't broken."