Accepted Solution

E4500 - Can't see networked PC's

Since the upgrade by Cisco I can only see Win7 PC's on the network. I can not see the USB drive attached to the E4500, nor can I see my Media server which is Linux based nor any Win XP computuers.

Re: E4500 - Can't see networked PC's

In the Storage section of the router setup, check that the workgroup name is the same as your home workgroup.

As for not seeing the other computers, see if this article may help: http://www.tannerwilliamson.com/2009/09/14/windows-7-seven-network-file-sharing-fix-samba-smb/

Expert

Along with what Wendel said above.   Disable all file and print sharing on all computers.  Reboot and now enable file and print sharing again on all computers.  Now try.

Thanks, however the Workgroup is the same. No changes were made before the automatic ugrade and everything was visable. I can find them via their ip address. Not sure what Cisco did with the cloud upgrade but it impacted my home network.

Your best choice is to go back to the Classic firmware. We all have been suffering with this Cisco Fiasco.

You mentioned in your post that you upgraded the firmware. So, after firmware update did you reset the Router? After successful firmware upgrade you need to reset the router. It is recommended to reset the router once. Steps to reset the router:

Push the reset button on router for 30 seconds, turn off the router wait for 30 seconds and then power it on. Power light should blink when you perform the reset process.

After reset, reconfigure the router and then check the status.

Similar issue after rollback for me as well. No machines showing in "Workgroup computers" (XP Pro SP3) and no shares in "Network Places".

Having a list of IP reservations and wi-fi MAC permissions, I didn't want to hard reset/reconfig the router yet again. What seemed to work cleanly for me was to change the (XP Pro machines) 'Workgroup' name under 'Computer Name' properties, 'OK' my way out to the 'Reboot now?' prompt then, without a reboot, going back in and changing the 'Workgroup' name back to the original one, 'OK' out and then rebooted.

That returned all my shares and workgroup details back to 'normal' and everything plays well together.

NetScan showed all the IPs prior and all were pingable from CMD prompt just nothing showing in the workgroup screens.

FWIW - I don't run any media or devices other than 6 XP Pro and 2 WIN7 machines (and 2 DD-WRT based LinkSys 54Gs) in the network. One laptop with a LinkSys 300N wi-fi card did need me to "force" connect using my saved default profile. The auto would keep me out of the shares, etc. All machines had Internet access prior as well.

What I detailed above was only done to the LAN wired machines on the EA4500. Once that was done, the machines on the other end of the DD-WRTed 54Gs showed properly as did the ones wired to the router.

Looking back, I do wonder how it would've worked out if I had started with the "primary machine" that I set up the router with. Maybe save me a step or two? I don't know...

No I didn't upgrade the firmware, Cisco did. When I have some time this weekend I will try what you say.

If this doesn't work I will be forced to downgrade the firmware as suggested which I am not looking forward to.

Very interesting and it worked!. I changed the name of the workgroup, rebooted then changed back and rebooted.

I can see all of them again. Just need to replicate it on all of the PC's. 

Glad it worked for you. That was a lot easier for me than to reconstruct the router configs.