Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Formhault
Accepted Solution

E900 - how to change Wi-Fi channel?

Hello people!

I just purchased a Linksys Cisco E900 router and hooked it up to my Internet cable. The Internet service that my ISP is giving me is PPPoE, fiberlink (100 Mbps).

I did the set up. I connected my computer (via Ethernet cable) and my laptop (via wireless) to the router.

Now... there are other wireless networks around me. The Wi-Fi channel my router fixed to is 1, apparently - saw it from the settings. But I can't find a menu anywhere in the router's gateway (192.168.1.1) from where I can change the wireless channel, wireless bandwidth etc. Can anybody tell me if I can change them...? If yes, how?! If not... what the flying......

Thanks in advance.

Jake_2.0

Re: E900 - how to change Wi-Fi channel?

Check on the screenshots below.

R6.jpg

R6.jpg

Formhault

Oh...   I did not know those settings are revealed upon d...

Oh...

I did not know those settings are revealed upon disabling WPS (I don't use WPS anyways).

Thank you very much!

-----

Now... if you could answer me in my other topic, as well... please! If you can, of course. Nobody seems to care for that thread's issue :smileysad: .

Thanks in advance.

feardc

Re: How to save Wi-Fi channel?

Hello.

I have related question, possibly a bug report.

I purchased a E900 in Sweden a couple of days ago, upgraded firmware to version 1.0.04 build 1 from 11/05/2012. When I was setting up the roter to get best Wi-Fi signal and speed results, I tried all the channels, number 5 at 2.432 GHz seems to give me top speed of 100 Mbit/s (maximum speed from ISP), so I chose channel 5 and saved settings. Next day I started my laptop and connecte to Wi-Fi, but didn't get as good speed, then I looked in Status > Wireless Network, Channel was set to 1.

The router seems to save channel configuration for one Wi-Fi session only. Once I break the session the value is lost.

When I look in Wireless > Basic Wireless Settings, I can see that channel 5 is chosen in the list, but in reality channel 1 is used.

My manual Wi-Fi settings:

Network Mode: Mixed

Network Name (SSID): Cisco

Channel Width: Auto (20 MHz or 40 MHz)

Channel: 5 - 2.432 GHz

SSID Broadcast: Enabled

Security Mode: WPA2 Personal

If you need any additional information or copy of backed up configuration file, please let me know.

Regards,

Alexander.

Expert
sabretooth

Please explain your exact steps you did when upgrading the routers firmware.

feardc

Went to http://192.168.1.1/, logged in with credentials I created with Cisco Connect, went to Administration > Firmware Upgrade, went to E900 support page, saved http://downloads.linksys.com/downloads/firmware/1224681522523/FW_E900_v1.0.04.001_US_20120816.bin to my hard drive, in Firmware Upgrade selected downloaded file and pressed Start Upgrade button. After 100% status router rebooted and I got redirected, I logged in again and could see Firmware Version 1.0.04 at the top. That's all.

Expert
sabretooth

[ Edited ]

So you did not hard reset the router and reconfigure it from scratch like the instructions say?  Please do this.

feardc

I did this now, pressed the reset button for 10 seconds using a pen, so all light went off, the router booted up as clean unconfigured. So I reconfigured it, saved all settings and even rebooted. I have same problem with Wi-Fi channel not being saved.
Expert
sabretooth

Sounds like the router is defective. 

feardc

[ Edited ]

So you mean that you have same router, same firmware, same settings, and after setting channel to 5 it still uses channel 5 after a day or so (after closed Wi-Fi sessions)? Can anyone else confirm this?