mtblewis
Accepted Solution

EA3500 Cannot Connect USB Printer

[ Edited ]

I am unable to connect a printer using the USB port on my new Linksys EA3500 router.

I followed the directions here: Support Page , but my verison of Cisco Connect does not have the option to "connect a USB printer".

I am on a macbook pro running OSX 10.7.4 and my verison of Cisco Connect is 1.4 (12005.2). My router's firmware version is 1.0.30.126544. A screenshot of what I see after clicking "add a device" in Cisco Connect is below. The printer is an HP DeskJet F4280.

Screen Shot 2012-06-24 at 5.32.13 PM.png

Please advise.

Thanks.

BobStokesbary

Re: EA3500 Cannot Connect USB Printer

You are probably stuck with having to call tech support. Your screen is different than the one we get on a PC. Your "wireless printer" tab is an "Add Printer" tab on the PC screen and then it prompts for wireless or USB. While an HP printer should be basically the same for each OS, it may be that the router cannot duplicate the way the system handles the communications with the printer.

Even the PC software leaves a lot to be desired. I just setup my EA3500 to run my HP1200 laserjet. After a few failed attempts to add this printer to my router, I found that I had to remove my existing HP1200 printer entry. Next I had to connect the printer to my laptop using the USB connection and redo the printer setup. Once that was complete, I could then put the printer on the router and tell Cisco Connect to connect the printer. (My situation may have been complicated because I used to have my printer linked to a Linksys WPS54G wireless print server. A couple of chat sessions with linksys support proved fruitless.)

The fact that a USB printer cannot be configured on a MAC is not documented on the box or any literature I have seen. Hopefully your issue can be resolved by getting an updated version of Cisco Connect.

forsaken

With reference to your concern you can try to download Cisco Connect from the Linksys/Cisco website for Mac Supportable. Here is the link: http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/support/routers/EA3500. After downloading, reinstall the Cisco connect and then check the status. Second here is the link for tested storage devices and printers for the EA3500: http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?vw=1&docid=295fdaa2069f44c98fdb6bd3936f3362_Tested_HDD_and_Pr...

BobStokesbary

That printer list is pitiful. I am surprised that linksys would even publish a list that only shows one printer. That is just pathetic.

I know from my experience that the HPLaserJet 1200 works on both Windows 7 and Windows XP SP3.

mtblewis

Would it be possible to setup the USB printer from a Windows 7 machine, then access the new shared USB printer from the macbook? I understand I would need all the appropriate printer drives on both computers, but is that something that can be done?

mtblewis

[ Edited ]

I was starting to question my purchase of this router since it was rather pricey unitl a mod contacted me and asked me to try to upgrade my firmware again. This time, there was an update available tonight which installed the Cisco Connect Cloud firmware (version 1.1.38.138143) which allowed me to connect my USB printer. I know this will sound like a Cisco commercial, but the Connect Cloud software and interface is incredible! It's a full featured web-based router management tool which makes the old Cisco Connect pretty much useless.  Thank you Cisco, I'm glad I now have an updated and awesome router! (which prints to my usb printer too)

BobStokesbary

Can you share how to access this "cloud" software? It would be nice to upgrade my firmware if there is already an update.

mtblewis

Sure thing. Pull up the router management interface by typing in 192.168.1.1 into a web browser. Log in, then go to "administration" menu I belive. In the firmware section, there is a button that says check for update. Click that, and if there is an update available, it will download and start to install automatically. After it's finished installing, your router will restart and you will see a new interface which can be accessed in the future from this web address: www.ciscoconnectcloud.com

BobStokesbary

Somehow I did not get the opportunity to stop at the "update" prompt and it took me directly to the Cisco Connect Cloud. That would have been nice, but since I was still in the process of getting my network stable, I had not written down my password to the router. Consequently, I had to reset everything and start from the beginning. This is really amateurish programming. There should be a "are you sure?" prompt that gives you a chance to save some things like passwords before it forces you into the update.

I am also not impressed that the new methodology lights up a background process every time you start your computer. Thank goodness you can shut off the prompt that makes you allow it to run every time you start your computer.

I'm also not sure exactly what the benefit is of being able to set each of the frequencies to separate names and security. I always though dual band was used to multiplex packets between the frequencies for faster throughput, not separate connections.

The jury is out on this new software for me.

opheliaimmortal23

Sorry to hear that but then I believe even if you cancel or decline the upgrade to Cisco Connect Cloud it would still prompt you the next time or will keep on prompting you to upgrade to that one.