Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
jsrobison

EA3500 Has Defective Browse Master Software for Workgroups

If you have a network that includes XP machines and Windows 7 machines in a Workgroup environment do not put your actual workgroup name in the Storage section of the EA3500 router.

If you do the router becomes the Browse Master for your network.  It does not know how to include XP or Windows 2000 machines in your network.  They can be accessed if addressed directly but will not appear in a Windows 7 Network display.

From an XP machine the entire network can't be browsed and that includes the XP machine itself.

Changing the EA3500 workgroup name to a dummy name forces the router to be the Browse Master of the dummy name.  One of the computers in the network will be elected to be the browse master for the network.

XP and older (don't know about Vista) operating systems use a different protocol for building the master network browse list.  Either the Linksys programmers didn't know this or decided to not support the XP method.

I've been searching for a week trying to figure out why my older computers were no longer in the network computer list.

:smileymad:

jaymay

Re: EA3500 Has Defective Browse Master Software for Workgroups

Hi! You might want to refer to this thread: http://homecommunity.cisco.com/t5/Wireless-Routers/E4500-Can-t-see-networked-PC-s/td-p/540484. It's indicated there by one user that by changing the workgroup name to something else and changing it back to the original workgroup name made the mapping worked.

jsrobison

jaymay wrote:

Hi! You might want to refer to this thread: http://homecommunity.cisco.com/t5/Wireless-Routers/E4500-Can-t-see-networked-PC-s/td-p/540484. It's indicated there by one user that by changing the workgroup name to something else and changing it back to the original workgroup name made the mapping worked.

The solution in that thread is a band-aid.  As soon as the router again becomes the master browser all of the XP and older machines will disappear from the browse list.

The only true fix is for Cisco/Linksys to fix their Browse Master code so it works correctly.

VanHalen

jsrobison wrote:
The solution in that thread is a band-aid.  As soon as the router again becomes the master browser all of the XP and older machines will disappear from the browse list.

The only true fix is for Cisco/Linksys to fix their Browse Master code so it works correctly.

100% correct. Had a glich last night with my media server, which I had verified was acting as the master browser perviously when I read this thread, went down and the master browser control shifted to the E4500. Hence networked pcs are not seen except for my wife's Win7. I then rebooted the media server first, then the E4500 to switch control back to the media server and all of the pc's show up.

Cisco needs to address this.

Jake_2.0

Hope that there will be a solution for this in the future.

jsrobison

VanHalen wrote:

jsrobison wrote:

100% correct. Had a glich last night with my media server, which I had verified was acting as the master browser perviously when I read this thread, went down and the master browser control shifted to the E4500. Hence networked pcs are not seen except for my wife's Win7. I then rebooted the media server first, then the E4500 to switch control back to the media server and all of the pc's show up.

Cisco needs to address this.

Enter a dummy workgroup name in the router.  The router will be the browse master for the dummy workgroup and leave your actual workgroup alone.

VanHalen

I am still on Cisco Connect Cloud. Just haven't had the time to switch out the firmware. Not sure if this is contributing to the issue.

VanHalen

Thanks, this dummy workgroup naming is working for me.:smileyvery-happy:

As a side note, I did downgrade from the cloud to the legacy firmware which did nothing as far as the master browser issue as it happened again after I made the change.

I beleive the root cause is my son is using the media server to watch multiple television shows in a session and it is overheating to the point it stalls. Since the media server was acting as the master browser, once it stalls, the EA4500 would take control and cause all of the winxp computers to disapear. I am moving the media server to a cooler location as where it resides doesn't have adequate ventilation. We just moved and the location I picked was different that our other house.

FYI: I use this software, LAN Scanner Tool v1.3,  to see the master browser computers on my network.

bagwellb

[ Edited ]

So you can downgrade your firmware to fix this.  However, even if you backup your settings and revert back to the newer cloud based firmware, it will default back to WORKGROUP.

A work around since you cant change workgroups on the new firmware (annoying!!!) is to change the workgroup name on all of your devices to something like "NETGROUP" since the router will always be "WORKGROUP" with the new firmware.  Cisco (now owned by Belkin - EWWW) really needs to fix this... I have been told the change was intentional, but obviously they did not think it through very well.

After making the above changes, my router is in WORKGROUP (serving as it's own Master Browser) and my computers in NETGROUP work great now that one of the windows comptuers picks up the Master Browser record.

I'm dealing with a T2 rep now who is reviewing this.

Again, this fixes the problem, but its extreamly annoying to have to change the workgroup name on all the other devices that you add to your network rather than just changing it on the router (since windows also defaults to "WORKGROUP" from a clean install).

Note:  By following the above steps, you will loose access to the USB port feature on the router (since different workgroups cant talk to each other for sharing).  This is not a big deal for me but may be for other users.  It would be IDEAL if rather than giving us the option to change workgroup names, cisco could just lower the OS level of the samba config file, thus allowing for a windows computer to be the Master Browser.

You can also try editing your registry (this did not work for me) by following the below microsoft instructions:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc959923.aspx

More information on samba master browsing

http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/using_samba/ch07.html

Configuring Samba for Browsing

Samba has full support for browsing and can participate as a master browser, a backup browser, a domain master browser, a potential browser, or just a server that doesn't participate in browsing elections. If you want to make sure your Samba server never becomes a master or backup browser, simply set:

[global]    

local master = no

Usually, you will want Samba to be available as a local master or at least a backup browser. In the simplest case, you don't need to do anything because Samba's default is to participate in browsing elections with its operating system value set to 20, which will beat any Windows system less than a Windows NT/2000 primary domain controller (see Table 7-2). The operating-system value Samba reports for itself in browser elections can be set using the os level parameter:

[global]    

os level = 33

The preceding value will allow Samba to beat even a Windows 2000 Advanced Server acting as a primary domain controller. As we show in the following section, though, forcing Samba to win this way is not recommended.

If you want to allow a Windows XP Professional system to be the master browser, you would need to set Samba lower:

[global]    

os level = 8

The maximum value for os level is 255 because it is handled as an 8-bit unsigned integer. Supposing we wanted to make absolutely sure our Samba server will be the local master browser at all times, we might say:

[global] local master = yes

os level = 255

preferred master = yes

The addition of the preferred master parameter causes Samba to start a browser election as soon as it starts up, and the os level of 255 allows it to beat any other system on the network. This includes other Samba servers, assuming they are configured properly! If another server is using a similar configuration file (with os level = 255 and preferred master = yes), the two will fight each other for the master browser role, winning elections based on minor criteria, such as uptime or their current role. To avoid this, other Samba servers should be set with a lower os level and not configured to be the preferred master.

Table 7-3. Computer-role settings in an election

Role / Value

master browser / 128

WINS client / 32

Preferred master / 8

Running master  / 4

Recent backup browser / 2

Backup browser  / 1