zebek

EA3500 - Slow Internet Speeds (Wired & Wireless)

Hi everyone, 

Newbie here, but longtime Linksys user.

I purchased a Linksys EA3500 about two months ago, brought it home and set it up with my DSL provider and everything was great, until sometime last week, and since then my download speeds have just plummeted to basically nothing. I did some troubleshooting but I cannot seem to find what the issue is. I have checked all the cables etc, and I know that it is definitely something with the router itself.....will explain more below.

My current Speedtest.net speeds are as follows (I am paying for a 5mb connection) with the EA3500 

Ping of 15ms Download speed of .67mbps, Upload speed of .60mbps

When I remove the router and hook straight to the DSL modem I get the following results

Pink of 12ms Download speed of 4.89mbps, Upload speed of .60mbps

- I have tried to reset the router both by holding the reset button and through the configuration application.

- I have enabled and disabled wireless to see if that was slowing things down

- I have plugged in my old WRT54G and I get the 12ms, 4.89mbps,.60mbps results on it (so I know its the EA3500)

- I tried putting the computer in the DMZ

- I have changed the ports that the computer is plugged into

- I have disabled and enabled IPV6 on both router and network card

- Firmware version - 1.1.38.134141

I am pulling my hair out, I bought this router to be faster, and it was until sometime last week.........

Help me experts....

beautifulbeatrice

Re: EA3500 - Slow Internet Speeds (Wired & Wireless)

Hi,

It looks like you've tried couple of workarounds already. One thing I notice you haven’t done yet is a firmware upgrade. The one you have installed is not the latest. You can download the latest firmware from the support site http://support.linksys.com/en-apac/support/routers/EA3500. Just click “Downloads”, select version 1 and download the latest firmware. Make sure to unzip the file before doing the upgrade. After the upgrade process, reset and reconfigure the router. It should help fix the issue.

zebek

So update to my situation,

I upgraded the firmware and not much of a change, I am not getting the following results

Ping 14ms, Download of 1.5mbps, upload .67mbps

Something has changed a bit...but still not getting the full 5mbps...

Also the new setup interface is G-A-R-B-A-G-E :smileyhappy:

Expert
jlbjlb

You've tried resetting and disabling media priotization?

Doesn't the EA3500 have a builtin speedtest app?

Have you tried a different computer?

What's the make and model of your DSL modem? Who's your ISP?
zebek

Yep, I reset it after the upgrade, and Media Priortization is already disabled......

The speedtest app will not load, I suspect that it has to do with the slow download speed....

I have taken my modem to my neighbours and tried his modem at my house.

Same results on his modem at my place, but my modem is fine at his house.

My ISP is Acanac.ca and the modem is a TPLink 8816

I have tired other PC's wirelessly, but I can try a different PC tonight hard wired...

Expert
jlbjlb

It's possible that's why the speed test app won't load. But it's also a big red flag for corrupted firmware (been there done that).

A 1.5 Mbps connection should allow the speed test app to load. So.....I don't know.

I guess if I were in your shoes, I would go to the download site and flash classic firmware and see if that helps.
Expert
jlbjlb

And even though you said it happens with both wired and wireless.....you can use inssider to find best channel. Also try changing channel width to 20 MHz only.

And make sure 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz have unique/different SSIDs

You can also try removing your wireless profiles from your computer.

http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/
Expert
jlbjlb
Jake_2.0

Consider resetting the router one more time and adjust the mtu: http://kb.linksys.com/Linksys/ukp.aspx?vw=1&docid=fbf8e8564632422eaa8ea80bf9dcba64_386.xml&pid=80&re... settings. If in case that there is no change with the router’s performance then consider returning the router and have it replaced.

howardc64

Had a similar problem. I had 7.5Mbit down while my comcast modem+service is 22Mbit. Turns out the Media Prioritization->Settings menu had a downlink speed setting and the router capped itself to this