Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
ton.jadieja

EA3500 internal IP address (and more) being changed

[ Edited ]

Hi All, the internal IP address of my EA3500 and some other configuration items such as Local Wireless Management (as far as I am able to determine) have changed a couple of times last weeks. I am not aware of some kind of auto-update feature or so, and I can fix it myself by resetting to defaults, but it's getting pretty annoying. Does anyone know how to prevent this? Thanks, cheers, T.

jaymay

Re: EA3500 internal IP address (and more) being changed

Are you using the Classic Firmware or Linksys Smart Wifi? Check the internet IP address that you are getting from the modem via the router page. Is it in range of 192.168.x.x? EA3500 is a smart router in which it is designed to change its IP address automatically if it will detect a possible IP conflict.

ton.jadieja

Hi jaymay; yes, the router is running Classic Firmware 1.0.30, the IP address is automatically changed from my 192.x.y.z range to 10.230.x.y. Might be a nice feature but it's rather inconvenient for me and my family. Perhaps it can be disbled via terminal. Thanks.

Jake_2.0

As what the other user has mentioned, the router will automatically change it’s ip address if it will detect an ip address conflict. Try to change the EA3500’s ip address from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.xx.xx to prevent an ip address conflict from your modem/gateway.

ton.jadieja

[ Edited ]
The internal IP address is already set in this range but changes to 10.230.x.y [edited] automatically.
beautifulbeatrice

Try changing the router’s IP to 10.10.10.1. Do not connect the router yet to the modem until the changes have been made. It is also helpful if you could contact your ISP to set the modem to full bridge mode. That way the modem would not conflict with the router's IP address.

ton.jadieja

Hi Beatrice et al., thank you for your suggestions; what does this solve, if I may ask, and do I need to reconfigure my network components (DHCP ranges, fixed IP addresses for my AppleTV, HD recorder, NAS, printer) in order to prevent ressetting my EA3500 back to defaults from now on? Thanks!
Jake_2.0

Those devices that you have mentioned are DHCP clients which means, they could just easily get whatever ip address that the router will assign to them. You can actually assigned a fixed ip address to those devices either by reserving their ip address on the router’s ui or by assigning a static ip address to them. In that way, you will be able to isolate the problem and would determine if which device is really having the problem.

ton.jadieja

Thanks, Jake and others. My Linksys EA3500 router/switch has fixed IP addres 192.168.x.y (with subnet 255.255.255.0), my Linksys E4200 (Access Point) has fixed IP address 192.168.x.y+1 (same subnet), my Linksys WES610N Bridge has fixed IP address 192.168.x.y+2 (same subnet), those other devices have indeed a fixed IP addres in the 192.168.x.y+100 range (same subnet) and my mobile devices (Apple and Windows computers, notebooks, tablets and smartphones) obtain their IP address via DHCP in the 192.168.x.y+125 (same subnet). I never experienced conflicts in the IP area for years, with my good old WRT54GL router/switch, but last weeks/months my EA3500 router/switch has switched over to IP range 10.230.a.b, some kind of automatically. I just want to be able to disable this feature if possible to prevent resetting to defaults and restore my backup configuration. That works when I am around but sometimes I am just not. Thanks again, all. Enjoy the weekend, cheers, T.

ton.jadieja

I have seen simular problems with other Linksys devices on this site, an example below, and it appears to me it is related to conflicts in IP ranges indeed. I am not aware of any conflicts in my network (considering my above text), does anybody perhaps know how to tackle them? Thanks, again.

http://community.linksys.com/t5/Wireless-Routers/No-network-connection-internet-works/td-p/655988