Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
neoprimal

EA3500 not broadcasting N network.

[ Edited ]

I am having no end of issues with this router since the upgrade to CCC. I don't want to downgrade because the reason I purchased the router was for the hopeful addition of more apps later on and the CCC. 

My router has now suddenly decided to no longer broadcast N signals. My 2.4ghz network is set for mixed and my 5ghz is set for N Only. They are both set to auto channel and WPA2 Personal security and have been working since I purchased the router on Sunday.

Last night it spontaneously rebooted and that was that.

Both laptops (with N adapters) are seeing the 2.4ghz network as 802.11g and my 300Mbps notebook adapter is seeing the 5ghz network as 802.11a. InSSIDer is showing that both networks are now broadcasting at a max of 54Mbps.

I have tried rebooting the router multiple times. I have also tried unplugging it for 60 seconds. I have also attempted to force the 2.4ghz to 20Mhz and a more optimal (unused) channel. That doesn't work. I tried setting the 5ghz network to wide (40mhz) with an optimal channel. Same deal. Still seeing it as 802.11a.

Any advice would be helpful,

Thanks. 

Wendel48

Re: EA3500 not broadcasting N network.

Check under QoS that WMM is enabled. According to what I have read, WMM is necessary for N funcionality. However with my EA3500, once I have N up and running my connect speeds were 1/10 of what they were before. So you may find in the end, N isn't as fast as you would like. I have found no answer as to why this happens.

neoprimal

Thanks, my WMM is up.

Yeah, I had a WRT610N I had hell with and promised myself I'd never get another Cisco/Linksys router but was swayed by this darn Cloud Connect business. On that router you couldn't enable a lot of the extra features like Home Defender because it would just reboot or slow down. If you enabled UPNP it would also slow to almost a crawl.

I should have heeded my past experience and gotten something else. 

Wendel48

You might save your current router configuration and either reflash the cloud firmware or the more stable Classic firmware. If you still have issues, then it's a hardware failure. With the fiasco Cisco has created you might do well to look at another brand of router... I am.

neoprimal

I ended up resetting the router and that seems to have corrected the issue for now. I'm watching it like a hawk though. If it corrupts on it's own again I will definitely be returning it.

The reason I'm NOT quick to return it is that I see a lot of potential with the CCC. Once apps are involved, the possibilities are endless, depending on exactly what Cisco allows them to do with the hardware. You could hypothetically achieve anything found in DDWRT or competetive GUIs with apps. How I envision it, for example, I find the guest network lacking. If I were a developer, I could easily write an app with the features I want from the guest network (as an example, I'd love to be able to see/throttle bandwidth, cap data and put the guest network on another dns). Another example, someone could write an app that enables a guest network from both the 2.4 and 5ghz bands, like other routers can do. Or, an app that allows the user to turn the guest network into a hotspot, or make a hotspot, like DDWRT. 

I haven't really seen how 3rd party apps plug directly into the router so I'm not even sure if it will or can happen the way I'm thinking it can. But because of that and really that alone, I'm hesitant to get something else and then regret it in the short term, once developers start writing apps for these routers. Now I could be wrong and maybe devs won't care, won't embrace it or as I mentioned, maybe the apps don't plug into the router itself but works from smartphones (that would suck)...at which point I'll gladly get something else.

Wendel48

I hope the cloud delivers all you are looking for. As for myself, most of what the cloud has is more marketing oriented for kids and their toys at the expense of simplicity and security. I'll stay with the old Classic firmware or return the router unless an update is forthcoming. I do hope Cisco fixes this fiasco soon.

hillary681

i do see a lot of potential with the cisco connect cloud. i am currently looking into an app called Block the Bad Stuff, which provides additional filtering and security for the entire network. hope to see more cloud-compatible apps soon!

Wendel48

And who will test these apps and certify that they do as promised, hillary681? Beware of  a false sense of security.

neoprimal

"i do see a lot of potential with the cisco connect cloud. i am currently looking into an app called Block the Bad Stuff, which provides additional filtering and security for the entire network. hope to see more cloud-compatible apps soon!"

I'm looking forward to them as well, not so much the smartphone apps, but built in 3rd party apps that plug into the actual CCC ui.

As wendel has said, for now it all seems to be a marketing ploy as the ccc as it is, is a 'prettified' gui of functionality that has been within these routers since before even the E series. About the only real difference is the addition of a speed monitor app.

Wendel48

Neoprimal wrote, "...I'm looking forward to them  as well, not so much the smartphone apps, but built in 3rd party apps that plug into the actual CCC ui."

And who will certify that these Apps are safe? Will you trust any author of an App to have access to your router and through that your home network? What's to keep hackers from writing innocent looking Apps with hidden Trojans or Key-loggers? Will Cisco reimburse you for a drained bank account?

The security concerns are too great, in my opinion. For a few "cool" Apps you may be opening up your personal life story to an identity thief. Routers are there to protect you. The Cloud concept destroys that protection.