Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
jerrykham
Accepted Solution

EA3500 router in bridge mode

I am setting up a second access point as the wireless signal at one end of the house is low. I have wired ethernet to this area. I have a EA3500 that I am trying to setup in bridged mode so that it acts as a WAP only. I've tried this 10 times now. I configure everything (SSIDs, pass phrases, channel, etc. and it works fine at that point as a 2nd router. As soon as I then switch it to bridged mode, it becomes basically a "router with a ethernet switch" as the wireless radios turn off (as tested with WiFi Analyzer). Also, you can no longer get to the admin page - and yes, I know to use the local access instead of the smart wifi. I use the router's new IP address (I have a DHCP reservation for it on my main router). I get to the sign in page, choose to sign in locally, enter the password, and it goes to "waiting" forever. Each time, I have to do a factory reset and start over. There is no newer firmware than what this EA3500 shipped with. It is obviously either a serious bug with this model or a hardware problem. The documentation says it works, and the radios work fine until I switch it to bridged mode - then they turn off. The lack of access to the admin page (with it just going into "waiting") is very frustrating too. Each factory reset and it is back to working as a router - but I don't want two NATs on my network as my work VPN isn't going to work through it.

Anyone else tried bridged mode on an EA3500 and gotten it to actually work? If so, how?

Thanks!

Jerry

ArthurRenzo

Re: EA3500 router in bridge mode

Which of these options did you select on the EA3500 when you set it to Bridge mode, “Specify an IPV4 address” or “Obtain an IPv4 address automatically”? What is the IP address of your main router? What is the IP address that you set on the DHCP Reservation for your EA3500? Did you disable the DHCP server of the EA3500 when you set it as a WAP?

The Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Router, EA3500 allows you to enable VPN tunnels using IPSec, L2TP or PPTP protocols to pass through the router’s firewall. You can also check this link on how to open ports for your VPN connection.

Expert
jlbjlb

Jerrykham,

There's a bug in the firmware that causes that when you select "obtain IP address automatically".

You must select "specify an IP address" and then enter the required information. Example: IP address 192.168.1.2, subnet mask 255.255.255.0, default gateway 192.168.1.1, dns 8.8.8.8 (google public dns).

The bug was reported over a year ago and Linksys refuses to fix it. The bug affects EA3500, EA4500, and E4200v2 and maybe others.
Expert
jlbjlb
jerrykham

Thanks for the info on the bug! I had resisted using the hard coded address since I wanted DNS to be automatic (I had set up a reservation on the main router for the EA3500 so it would always have the same address anyway). I guess I can do it with the hard coded address and put in Google's DNS or something like that. Since it won't be handing it out to clients (the main router handles DHCP), it won't really matter - the EA3500 will only need DNS itself to look for firmware updates and that whole Linksys account login stuff (which I will never use; I use local router login).

I think I will go through the setup yet again and set it to hard coded and see it it works out better. Yesterday I had given up and set it up as a NAT behind a NAT (router behind router) to get my Chromecast working. The Chromecast and my main router are at completely different ends of the house and the signal was just too low from the main router. But, it will be much better to have it in bridge mode so that all of my devices are on one flat network.

If setting it up hard coded works, I will come back here and mark your answer as the solution.

Thanks again!

Jerry

jerrykham

After setting it to a hard coded IP address it works fine. I can't believe I wasted several hours on this stupid thing because of a firmware bug that Linksys has known about for so long and decided not only to not fix, but to not bother to document. For example they have a very nice web page that shows you how to setup bridged mode - but nowhere on that page does it say, "don't use the automatic IP address function since the router will hang and you will need to factory reset it". 

Thanks to the folks in the forum here - this is up and running!

orlandogarc

It seems I followed in your footsteps, my friend.  I too spent 3 hours trying things myself, an hour in a chat session with the support folks, and another hour on the phone with them as well.  Their summary comment was "The EA 3500 is not compatible with your hardware firewall" even though I told them I tried the same procedure connected directly to my gateway.  They followed that with "go buy a wreless bridge, consider the WAP300N."  Nevermind that would require I go get a switch as well.  

I can't believe their support has degraded to this.

If anyone at Cisco is reading this, take a look at case number 01847239.

Sarah221

Hi orlandogarc, did you try to follow the steps recommended by jlbjlb above? Is everything working now? I've tried it myself, and normally I select "Specify an IP address" so when I need to access my router I just use the IP address I specified for it.

orlandogarc

It seems to be working fine now.

fugawi

Can you please help me understand this?

I have two EA 3500's. Router 1 is ethernet wired to the cable modem and serves most of the house. Router 2 is placed at the opposite end of the house to provide stronger wireless signal there. Router 2 is ethernet wired to Router 1.

I set it up as suggested above by jlbjlb. However, I have the same SSID and password for both routers.

I am doing that with the hope a user in the house is connecting to "one network" (eg a a user can move from the Router 1 area and automatically switch to Router 2 when they are at that end of the house, or if that won't work when they connect they would be connecting to whichever one is strongest.)

Thank you.