12-05-2012 01:05 PM
I have had a EA3500 router in front of a 3Mb ADSL connection for about 6 months. This delivered essentially the same WAN performance as the WRT54G (v5) I replaced with it. Either router would get 2.4-2.8Mbps through a variety of speed test sites, inlcuding the CCC builtin speed test.
I upgraded to a 10Mbps cable internet connection today, but the EA3500 won't deliver any more speed than with the old ADSL connection. The reason I am blaming the EA3500 is that if I plug my computer directly into the cable modem, I get a solid 9.9Mbps down/0.99Mbps up, which is exactly how my line is provisioned. With the router in place and active, I get the same slow WAN connection, 2.8-2.9MBps, whether using a PC connected with GigE, a PC connected via Wireless-N, or with an iPhone. This all implicates the EA3500's WAN connection.
Is there anything that can be done do let the EA3500 work properly? I upgraded my firmware today in hopes that that would change something. But, I get the same speed with the latest firmware (220.127.116.11204) as I did with the previous version. Speed across my wired LAN is excellent; I can sustain 70MB/sec from my PC to my NAS. It's only the WAN connection that is performing poorly.
I can downgrade to the non-CCC firmware if that would make a difference; would it?
If anyone has any advice on this matter I would appreciate it.
12-05-2012 02:44 PM
Try to lower the MTU size on the router to 1400. Then for wireless, try channel 1, 3, 6, 9, or 11 for the 2.4 GhZ network. Use WPA2 encryption for security.
12-05-2012 02:45 PM
To follow up on my own post, I performed a hardware reset via the button on the bottom, and that seems to have made all the difference. My WAN is running at its advertised speed, with the EA3500 in place. I have no idea what got reset that wouldn't have lasted through the firmware upgrade and reboot there. But, my security's back in place and all is well.
12-05-2012 02:47 PM
Thanks for the response. I had played with the MTU, as well as disabling uPNP, both to no effect. A hard reset of the router is what did the trick for me. If that hadn't worked I would have tried downgrading to the non-CCC firmware. But, I didn't need to be that extreme.