Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Krazy Kowboy

Re: EA4500 502 Bad Gateway error

Hey Guys, I've had the same problem trying to connect to the Linksys smart wifi utility since mid day Saturday. I've been using a EA4500 N900 for 2 months without issue until yesterday. Had just made a few setting changes to the parental controls and when I logged out received the 502 - Bad Gateway message, and was not able to log back in after that.

The router is still functioning perfectly and I'm still connected to the internet, so I was able to connect to Linksys support with their online chat. They confirmed to me that the issue is with their servers and not any of my equipment nor that of my ISP. I was told their engineers are working to resolve the issue and they offered an apology for the inconvenience.

As of 7 PM Sunday the problem has not been resolved, but I have found that disconnecting the ethernet cable from the router that leads to the modem will allow me to access the Smart Wi-Fi utility using 192.168.1.1 and the router password. I did this, made adjustments to the settings I wanted to make, and then reconnected the ethernet cable to the modem to get back online. 

Yes , it's a royal pain in the rear, but you'll find it's a fair alternative until the issues are resolved.

jimmyzee

Writing this at 6:53 PM 3/3 and I am still getting the bad gateway 502 error with BOTH the Smart Wi-Fi and trying to log in from a browser with the 192.168.1.1 address. This has been going on since yesterday. I don't understand why the manual log-in won't work.

What's really weird is when this first started I reset the router and was going to reconfigure it. A screen came up with network details INCLUDING both Wi-Fi password and the router password as well as the SSID of whoever's network that was. To tell the truth, I am more worried about why and how somebody's network credentials, including passwords, showed up on my router set-up. I can't help think if I could see their info, how do I know mine is being broadcast? I saved the info in case this is something larger going on. Meanwhile I will try to figure out who the network belongs to and go tell them what happened.

Anyway, that aside, I have reset the router and held the button for over 30 seconds. I have unplugged power and let it sit for over an hour. I have rebooted my computer, I have powered off everything and powered them on beginning with the modem, the router next, and then the PC. Same thing- Bad Gateway error 502 on the Smart Wi-Fi link and the same error on manually trying to log in. I verified the router's address via ipconfig/all. Frankly, I'm ready to go buy a different brand of router because this is unacceptable.

Can anybody offer any suggestions or advice about what's going on here, especially since I can't manually log in? As is probably obvious from being able to post this, I have no problems doing anything online and my email works fine. I just can't get to the router set-up.  

Administrator
Vince_02

That is true Krazy Kowboy. Thanks for sharing the info from chat support and the temporary solution while we wait for the servers to be fixed.
Krazy Kowboy

You're welcome. It's nice to have a forum of support as this. it helps to know when you're not alone in dealing with or trying to resolve issues.
Administrator
Vince_02

[ Edited ]

@jimmyzee, you need to disconnect the modem from the router to access the setup page via local IP. Krazy Kowboy was able to do this.

Quoting Krazy Kowboy: "I have found that disconnecting the ethernet cable from the router that leads to the modem will allow me to access the Smart Wi-Fi utility using 192.168.1.1 and the router password. I did this, made adjustments to the settings I wanted to make, and then reconnected the ethernet cable to the modem to get back online."

highspeedneed769

[ Edited ]

Im a little suprised that most here are just willing to wait this out. Dont the fact that you have no control over your own private network bother you ?? I cant allow Cisco to control my owned devices any longer. Is there a reason nobody likes the classic firmware because it wokes great here.

Krazy Kowboy

Agreed, should have had a fix by now. Service from Linksys has been deplorable.

I could use classic firmware or reinstall my old WRT120N, but my soul purpose in purchasing the EA4500 was for the Smart Wi-Fi features that were not available with other routers. 

I need the ability to use parental controls to limit the hours that devices may access the internet and to block some of the social websites I don't want my kids on.

In my case the issue goes well beyond my devices having wi-fi access.

qazwwx

I'm getting the error too. This needs to be fixxed. Now.

jimmyzee

I had tried that a couple of times and the third time was the charm. I was able to get in and I deselected the acess thru Wi-Fi check box.

I am still disturbed by that other network and all the passwords to it popping up on my computer screen with the setup screen. If I was an evil person I could get into that netwrok and even lock the guy out of it for awhile. It boggles the mind the security breach this caused. I am having a hard time imagining what specific set of circumstances would do that, and again, I don't know how secure I feel with this router now.

I'm new to these forums so I don't know how much 'official' people monitor them, but is this something I should post elsewhere? If this is a bug, it's a serious one, methinks.
highspeedneed769

Krazy Kowboy wrote:

Agreed, should have had a fix by now. Service from Linksys has been deplorable.

I could use classic firmware or reinstall my old WRT120N, but my soul purpose in purchasing the EA4500 was for the Smart Wi-Fi features that were not available with other routers. 

I need the ability to use parental controls to limit the hours that devices may access the internet and to block some of the social websites I don't want my kids on.

In my case the issue goes well beyond my devices having wi-fi access.

The classic has parental controls also if im not wrong the classic interface has more options then going through the cloud. So in fact you have more control with out the cloud.