Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Middleleaze

Re: EA4500 Disable Cisco Connect Cloud

[ Edited ]

perlmane wrote:

I could not believe the way Cisco assumed that I would want them to manage my router without asking. This morning I tried to log into my router and found that it had autmatically updated itself to this new approach. I could not make the changes I needed to make through this new approach. Thankfully, this forum told me how to go back to last firmware rev and now everything is fine. This arrogant vendor attitude is why I do not purcase Apple products and why this will be the last Cisco product I will ever purchase.

Cisco appear not to understand how Corporate networks function.  In my Company our Firewalls are setup to allow internal equipment to communicate with external equipment ONLY if both the MAC address and IP address of the equipment is listed in the firewall rules.  When Cisco automatically updated the Firmware to enforec the "Cloud" approach none of our EA4500 routers would work (neither the sending equipment nor Cisco servers had their MAC addresses or IP addresses listed in our Firewall rules) so we were prevented from making  changes to the Routers for password updates or to change MAC addresses and IP addresses that were essential to our day to day business activities.  Needeless to say, chaos ensued.  We contacted Cisco and were staggered at their attitude and lack of understanding.  I could not beleive their suggestion that we remove our Firewall restrictions so that their routers could communicate via "Cloud" system.  It did not occur to them that since we could not access the routers then how could we change the Firewall rules!!!  More importantly, did they seriously think that we would be prepared to eliminate our security system just so that their routers could use the "Cloud" .  Their answer was also astounding.  They informed us that in accordance with their published policy we MUST agree to their demands otherwise we were NOT permitted to the use the "Cloud" software.  Naturally, we responded by explaining that since we were unable to satisfy their policy then we accept we must abandon our use of the "Cloud" software and move all our routers back to the previous firmware that does not require the "Cloud" in order to function correctly.  Once we had reverted to the previous firmware, we received a call from Cisco informing us that since they cannot guarrantee to support the previous firmware then we should upgrade to the latest firmware which uses the "Cloud".  My VP exploded at their arrogance and instructed us to find an alternative router supplier and return ALL our EA4500 routers (only two weeks old) on the grounds that Cisco are in breach of our Purchase Contact - i.e Cisco have fundamentally and unilaterally changed the functionality of the routers making them entirely unsuitable.  Our suppliers are now trying to deal with this unexpected development.  Cisco did not expect this to happen and are now trying to figure out what to do!  

perlmane

Middleleaze,

Your points are excellent. This is what happens when a vendor gets arrogant. Unless this is resolved quickly, I will be fortced to throw this out and go with another vendor. 

Stan Kay

[ Edited ]

Middleleaze wrote:

perlmane wrote:

I could not believe the way Cisco assumed that I would want them to manage my router without asking. This morning I tried to log into my router and found that it had autmatically updated itself to this new approach. I could not make the changes I needed to make through this new approach. Thankfully, this forum told me how to go back to last firmware rev and now everything is fine. This arrogant vendor attitude is why I do not purcase Apple products and why this will be the last Cisco product I will ever purchase.

Cisco appear not to understand how Corporate networks function.  In my Company our Firewalls are setup to allow internal equipment to communicate with external equipment ONLY if both the MAC address and IP address of the equipment is listed in the firewall rules.  When Cisco automatically updated the Firmware to enforec the "Cloud" approach none of our EA4500 routers would work (neither the sending equipment nor Cisco servers had their MAC addresses or IP addresses listed in our Firewall rules) so we were prevented from making  changes to the Routers for password updates or to change MAC addresses and IP addresses that were essential to our day to day business activities.  Needeless to say, chaos ensued.  We contacted Cisco and were staggered at their attitude and lack of understanding.  I could not beleive their suggestion that we remove our Firewall restrictions so that their routers could communicate via "Cloud" system.  It did not occur to them that since we could not access the routers then how could we change the Firewall rules!!!  More importantly, did they seriously think that we would be prepared to eliminate our security system just so that their routers could use the "Cloud" .  Their answer was also astounding.  They informed us that in accordance with their published policy we MUST agree to their demands otherwise we were NOT permitted to the use the "Cloud" software.  Naturally, we responded by explaining that since we were unable to satisfy their policy then we accept we must abandon our use of the "Cloud" software and move all our routers back to the previous firmware that does not require the "Cloud" in order to function correctly.  Once we had reverted to the previous firmware, we received a call from Cisco informing us that since they cannot guarrantee to support the previous firmware then we should upgrade to the latest firmware which uses the "Cloud".  My VP exploded at their arrogance and instructed us to find an alternative router supplier and return ALL our EA4500 routers (only two weeks old) on the grounds that Cisco are in breach of our Purchase Contact - i.e Cisco have fundamentally and unilaterally changed the functionality of the routers making them entirely unsuitable.  Our suppliers are now trying to deal with this unexpected development.  Cisco did not expect this to happen and are now trying to figure out what to do!  

I have had an almost identical experience to your Company and only 30 minutes ago took a phone call from Cisco when we discussed the same issues that you describe - Cisco's gentle "blackmail" to get my Company back onto the "Cloud" process.  I gave them the same answer as you.  My Company WILL NOT change it's Corporate Security Policy to meet Cisco's wishes so we shall find another router supplier and return all of our EA4500 devices.   I think that Cisco are now in serious trouble and may be facing some Corporate legal challenges. 

marcmv11

Middleleaze, couldn't agree more.  If we all call Cisco and demand they either fix this mess or refund us in full that'll send out a clear message.

There are dozens of sites all over the net that are absolutely blasting Cisco for this completely amateur move they pulled on us.

At the very least,  they're going to lose new business from the majority of technical users looking for an upgrade if they don't smarten up and quickly.

As for making the "classic" version available on their web site, I see this as just trying to quiet things down.  Until Cisco releases a new classic firmware with all the same fixes as the cloud but without the idiotic EULA and cloud functionality, I do not consider this resolved.  I hope the rest of you feel the same and hold Cisco to the same level of accountability.

Wendel48

There is an revolutionary army of customers who agree with you, marcmv11. And we will continue to push Cisco to upgrade the Classic firmware and honor their end of our bargain when we purchased their routers. It is shameful how Cisco has handled this problem. What's more scary is how management in a networking company like Cisco could even think the cloud is a place for their equipment. I can only speculate Cisco has become caught up in the Cloud frenzy sweeping across the corporate landscape.

I will wait until this Wednesday. the 4th of July, Independence Day in the US, and if there is no update or promise of an update to the Classic firmware, I shall declare my independence from Cisco's tyranny and return their router.

clvk07

well, already printed the return label for the ea4500 going to return and get netgear wndr4500 or wndr3800,  goodbye cisco

Expert
sabretooth

Those are much better routers anyway.  Good luck.

adub10001

good idea, thanks for the suggestion. 

I've been dealing with support for a few weeks now on getting my external drives to connect to the 3500 and now this, has just made up my mind to drop this product.  It's unfortunate. 

clvk07

just in case.... which one would you reccomend?

CharlieATL

[ Edited ]

To Cisco/Linksys limited (very limited) credit, they have posted a 15-step reversal procedure.  This should take the average person perhaps 15-30 minutes to accomplish, so basically these guys have stolen a lot of time from a lot of people.

Pasted here is the process:

print this page print email this solution email

Title: Rolling back the Cisco Connect Cloud firmware to the Classic EA Series router web interface Article ID: 25856

We are sorry to see you downgrading to our Classic software (non-Cloud) on your EA Series Router.  Your EA series router with Cisco Connect Cloud software provides you a new way to experience your connected home and a growing ecosystem of apps.  By downgrading your firmware to Cisco Connect 1.4 you are not able to take full advantage of your new EA Series Router.  For more information about Cisco Connect Cloud please see our FAQs at http://home.cisco.com/en-us/cloud.

The steps below will guide you to properly rollback the firmware of your EA Series router to the Classic EA Series router web interface.

Step 1: 
Download the Classic EA Series Cisco Connect firmware (non-Cisco Connect Cloud), click on the respective links below.  

• EA4500 version 2.0.37 (Build 131047)
• EA3500 version 1.0.30.126544
• EA2700 version 1.0.14.129982

NOTE:  You may also need to download the Classic Cisco Connect Setup Software 1.4 to set up the router after the rollback. 

Step 2:
Disconnect the Ethernet cable from the Internet port of the router.

Step 3:
Log in to the router’s web-based setup page.  To do this, type http://192.168.1.1 or myrouter.local in the Address bar of your web-browser.

Step 4:
Enter the Router Password when prompted. 

NOTE:  The default Router Password for Linksys EA Series routers is admin.  If you change it during the initial setup, use the new password instead.

Step 5:
On the Cisco Connect Cloud web-based interface, click the Connectivity widget.

Step 6:
In the Firmware Update section, go to Manual and click Choose File.

Step 7:
Select the firmware file you downloaded on Step 1 then click Open.

Step 8:
Click Start to begin the rollback process.

Step 9:
Once the Important prompt appears, click Yes.

The firmware rollback process may take up to 5 minutes.  Do not power off the router or close the browser window.  Wait until the router’s Cisco logo (for EA4500) orPower LED (for EA2700 and EA3500) has stopped flashing.

Step 10:
Click OK when the Router Reboot prompt appears.

NOTE:  Once the Cisco Logo or Power LED stops flashing, reconnect the Ethernet cable (which you unplug in Step 2) to the Internet Port.

Step 11:
Close the web browser and open a new one.  Access the page again by typing http://192.168.1.1 or myrouter.local in the Address bar.

Step 12:
Enter the router’s Username and Password.  The default username and password of Linksys routers is admin.

The Classic EA Series router web interface will now display.

Step 13:
On the Setup page, go to Administration and click the Firmware Upgrade sub-tab.

Step 14:
Uncheck the Upgrade Automatically: option and click on Save Settings or Apply.

Step 15:
Click Continue to reopen the page.

(Mod note: Post edited for guidelines compliance.)