4rings

Re: EA4500 - Parental Controls

Update: Parental Controls has gone berserk!  I noticed that my other childs laptop was able to acess the internet 'after hours' also.  I then added my ethernet connected desktop and New iPad (router has firmware v 2.0.37 - both new adds set to block internet access always), saved changes and both are still able to access the internet.  I rebooted the router but still the same.  In playing around, one thing I stumbled across is that  with my desktop PC blocked, Google Search doesn't work but Yahoo and Bing do!  How bizarre is that!  Is my only option to reset the router to factory settings, reconfigure and hope for the best?

Expert
jlbjlb

Try disabling ipv6 on the linksys. The parental controls may just be blocking ipv4.
Jake_2.0

Perhaps you need to reset the router and set the time parameters once again just to isolate the problem.

4rings

[ Edited ]

I think that disabling IPv6 has fixed the problem, as Parental Controls are now working on my test device.  It wasn't working on my test devices before.  I won't know for sure, however, until tonight when their internet cuts off and I hear them whining and complaining.  So a big thank you to jibjib for the solution on this one, as well as to everyone else who contributed. 

This now leaves me with a few questions.....

- why did Parental Controls suddenly stop working when IPv6 had been enabled all along?  Atleast I think it was.  It's nothing that I ever messed with.  It's whatever the default setting is/was.

- Why did I need to disable IPv6 for Parental Controls to start working again?

- Why doesn't Parental Controls work with IPv6 enabled?  Shouldn't it?

I'll report back tomorrow, but I think that this one's 99% squashed.

Thank you!

ylime1984

Glad to know that it's working now but quite bizarre though after disable IP6 that its started working. It shouldn't interfere with IPv4 unless you've configured it. Anyways, please keep us posted.

MariusPerron

I had the same problem as 4 rings.  I disabled IPv6 in the router settings, and now the Parental Control is working !  

WHAT UP WIT DAT !   I have been having trouble with this off and on for about three weeks!   I hope this permanently fixing the problem.  And , I hope that disabling this will not compromise the speed of my other computers...

4rings

Hi,

Hearing my son whine and complain was music to my ears!  And much like MariusPerron, I hope this is permanent.  Thanks again.

csm
csm

I have problem, when I enable Parental controls for one client, then other clients cannot access Internet, even though they say nothing is blocked.     I am only blocking one client specificially.   Why is this affecting other clients connected.    Seems like it starts to connect, but then stops, until I disable the parental controls.   Something doesn't seem right.

Expert
zee29

csm wrote:

I have problem, when I enable Parental controls for one client, then other clients cannot access Internet, even though they say nothing is blocked.     I am only blocking one client specificially.   Why is this affecting other clients connected.    Seems like it starts to connect, but then stops, until I disable the parental controls.   Something doesn't seem right.

Are you using the classis firmware still or the cloud UI? it is still the same though, you will just select the device that you would like to block and select to "always" block it or just specific time. Make sure that you have the latest firmware then you can do a reset and reconfigure.

csm
csm

Are you using the classis firmware still or the cloud UI? it is still the same though, you will just select the device that you would like to block and select to "always" block it or just specific time. Make sure that you have the latest firmware then you can do a reset and reconfigure.

===================================================

It is the cloud UI.   It is latest firmware from a few days ago.      Seems strange, as with the blocking of the 1 client on, the other ones do seem to get some access, but they are much slower than if the blocking is off overall.