Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
balleron24z

EA4500 QoS WMM Issues

This is more of a clarification post, and maybe I'll get some recognition to the problem present.

Someone I know owns a EA4500 router, brand new, on the latest 2.0.37 firmware (Classic, not a fan of the cloud firmware), and from day one, noticed a problem with the speeds.  After the router runs for a few hours after a reboot, download speeds drop dramatically, down to around 1-2mbps, sometimes lower, while upload hangs around 5-6mbps, as advertised (25/5 Comcast).  I can confirm hardwiring gives me the speeds "I'm paying for" and every device on the network sees the 1-2mbps speeds at the same time, confirmed no other hardware is dragging down the connection at the time.  Hardwire will see 25/5 at the same time as wireless seeing 1-2, so it's not an ISP issue.

So far, disabling WMM QoS fixes the speed drops, but of course, limits to G speeds due to the Wireless-N standard requiring QoS.  Re-enabling instantly shows the reduced speeds until a reboot.  Ping tests show numerous timeouts via command prompt with WMM enabled, but disabling WMM, ping tests are nice and steady.  I can confirm that wireless interference isn't a problem, we're on the side of a mountain at least 1200 feet from any other wireless connection, and this issue is present on both 2.4 and 5Ghz bands.  

My issue is, I don't feel that disabling WMM is a solution, rather than a temporary bandaid, because if my "friend" is spending 150 on a router, that thing better darn well put out it's respected speeds via LAN and WAN.  I myself own a Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2 and the thing runs better in it's single 2.4 band than the Linksys does combined with both bands.  

I work for an undisclosed company, where I handle wireless networking concerns all day, and I've had plenty of calls of Linksys routers doing this same thing, one being the E2500.  Oddly enough, WMM was an issue on this router causing the same as the issue above, and they released a firmware update for it that specifically addressed the WMM issue.  If Linksys/Cisco can push out a firmware update for a lower-end router that fixes the ONE problem that the EA4500 has, then why can't they update the EA4500 to resolve it?  

I myself will never buy another Linksys/Cisco product again, as I've owned in the past and didn't have the results I wanted with them, as well as seeing all the problems that other people have with them.  I hope the right person sees this and will actually get it off to the right team of engineers to actually make this issue a priority to fix.  I see no place to submit a ticket and to be honest, I don't want to talk to someone on the phone who thinks I just have a faulty unit.  I promise, I've done networking for years and I know this is a known issue with Linksys firmwares.

Thanks in advance to whoever responds.

Matt

balleron24z

Re: EA4500 QoS WMM Issues

Forgot to mention, running WPA2 Personal AES, separate SSID's for 2.4 and 5ghz band, no QoS is enabled at all, including WMM.  Auto for channel and channel width.

beautifulbeatrice

Do not leave the channel width on both bands to “”Auto””. Use 20 MHz or 80 MHz instead. Also change the wireless channel. Use inSSIDer to know which channel is not too crowded in your location.

By the way updates/fixes are available on the Linksys Smart Wifi firmware. You might want to try using that firmware and see the difference. I am using the EA6500 router with Smart Wifi firmware and so far I am satisfied with the wireless performance.

highspeedneed769

I own a 4500 and have used both firmwares classic and smart and i have wmm enabled and i get the full 55 down and 11 up no problems at all also using comcast with there blast speed tier.

balleron24z

Hard to tell why this is happening to my friends router then.  All I know is they owned an E4200 previously that did have hardware fault, as the router itself was crashing every few seconds, including LAN losing connection.  This EA4500 is brand new, hence there's a much smaller chance of hardware failure, but the thing is, I see this problem occuring across multiple routers, with various firmwares.  If I'm not mistaken, what happens is when a device kicks in the WMM, it prioritizes it's traffic ahead of other devices on the network, but the firmware of the router never releases this prioritization, hence the 1-2mbps after a few hours of use on all wifi-connected devices.  I'll try forcing 20mhz channel width when I go back over there, but I'm pretty sure I tried that once before, and still didn't have luck.  I ran inSSIDer last night and again, there are no other networks in the area within range, the only one's I'm seeing at all broadcast on ch11 on 2.4ghz band, and the EA4500 is broadcasting at ch 1, so no overlap.  Again, this issue is present on the 5ghz band as well, and there are no other 5ghz band networks anywhere within miles of this router.  I'll try the settings change, as well as putting the smart firmware on it, but I've seen people on these forums have done the same suggested changes, and nothing helped.  They either had to live with WMM being disabled and have G speeds, or they returned the router and got another one.  Thanks for the replies thus far, guys and gals.

highspeedneed769

Yeah not sure what the issue is maybe a defective router not sure. I to have read alot of reviews and threads about the newer linksys routers and they are not good. It's a shame because at one time Linksys had some great products but now im not so sure. I wish you good luck !!

balleron24z

Lol just as I figured, changed the bands to usse 20mhz.  I don't know where you guys get this 80mhz stuff.  I hate to say it, but copy pasting stuff that has proved not to work before, isn't gonna help now.  I have it set to 20mhz and the channels are set to 6 and 36 respectively, as soon as I turned WMM back on, bam, speeds drop well below what they run without WMM.  I'll put the smart firmware on it and report back, but I'll reiterate, this isn't a hardware issue, it's a "KNOWN" software issue that Cisco/Linksys fail to acknoledge and fix.

balleron24z

And just to be clear, I'm not mad at you guys for trying to help, I'm just mad at this "cookie cutter" approach to fixing a bug with something that's independent of channel/band settings.  If you do a quick google search for "WMM linksys" you'll see how many reports of this there are.  And the steps mentioned thus far in this post produce the same results as everyone else gets lol.  I'm flashing the firmware now.

balleron24z

Haha......installed the newer smart firmware.....basically the same results.....2884kbps roughly, and 11756kbps upload.  Also, when I go to download from DB, starts off downloading fast, then drops to 0 completely.  Again, let me state this, and hopefully someone with enough sense will submit some kind of feedback......WMM QoS is seriously flawed on a lot of Linksys/Cisco firmwares.  It causes unbearable speeds at best.  Proof in the pudding is the E2500 had a firmware update a while back that specifically addressed the issue, even in the changelog it stated "Fixed WMM bug that caused downstream issue" or something like that.  Don't believe me, look it up.  You guys can tell me to do everything to the sun and back including riding a horse to town with a bed of hot coals on my butt and it still won't fix the problem.  I want someone from Linksys/Cisco who actually can get something done about this, and get it done.  It's affecting a good amount of devices as well as not specifically this model, but other models........come on guys.

highspeedneed769

As stated there are alot of 4500 ownwers who dont have the issue you descibe but then again there are those that do. There has to be some commom issue at play here wish i knew what it was. Also fwiw Cisco is no longer part of Linksys they sold out to Belkin last march. Good Luck !!