Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
4rings

EA4500 and XBox Live

Hi,

More often than not, when my son wants to play on Xbox Live, the Xbox won't connect to Xbox Live.  It will connect to the network and the internet but not Xbox Live.  After running the connection test, the suggestion is to reboot the modem and router.  It works after rebooting those two devices.  Why does this happen so often? 

lheyvens

Re: EA4500 and XBox Live

For gaming console like x-box  or x-box 360 you need to open some ports on the router because they are defaultly close. On your EA4500 access the device UI then go to Application & Gaming then select Port Range Forwarding. You need to manually enter specific ports for your gmaing console. Here are some tested ports for x-box TCP/UDP: 80,3074,53 & 88. By the way may I know who is your ISP? because DSL internet service provider they usually used modem/router wherein to set it to full bridge

mode.

4rings

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I did as you suggested and it seems like it worked, although not at first.  I hard coded the Xbox with an IP address, subnet mask, gateway and DNS server, then I configured the router to forward requests for those ports to that IP address.  As soon as I did that, my wife and son who were surfing, complained that they couldn't connect to the internet anymore on their wireless laptops.  I backed out the port forwarding to restore their internet connectivity which worked.  Then I figured I'd go with one port at a tiime.  I set 3074 to forward to the Xbox and tried logging into Xbox Live.  Voila!  That worked.  Didn't need to power cycle the modem and router.  Any idea why their internet connectivity went away with those four ports forwarded?  And any idea what port 3074 is for and why that enabled the Xbox Live sign in?  Also, do I still need to forward ports 80, 53 and 88?

Jake_2.0

According to wikipedia:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_TCP _and_UDP_port_numbers. 3074 is for Xbox LIVE and/or Games for Windows - LIVE. Now with regrads to those 2 laptop's losing wireless connection, it's probably because of the xbox was eating the packets at that time. It's a good thing that you were able to make it to work in your end though.

Expert
jlbjlb

Just forward UDP 88 and UDP/TCP 3074.

If you continue trying to forward 53 and 80, your.wife will be very unhappy with you.
mcphersonkent@gmail.com

I ran into this last night. Why do 53 and 80 cause problems?

Jake_2.0

Hi, I’ve read your post from this link: http://homecommunity.cisco.com/t5/Wireless-Routers/EA4500-change-looses-Internet-connectivity/m-p/58... and basically opening ports should not affect the performance of the router. Again update the firmware of the router, reset it afterwards and if the router will still have the same problem then return the router and have it replaced.

mcphersonkent@gmail.com

I read a couple other threads where users had similar problems.  The culprit appears to be port 53 which is for DNS.  I'm not sure why Microsoft would recommend forwarding that port.  

opheliaimmortal23

I found something online about PORT 53: http://www.networkworld.com/community/blog/allow-both-tcp-and-udp-port-53-your-dns-serve. I believe that will help explain the reason why but well I think you can find answers, too, from microsoft.com.