Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
jschaffin

EA4500 as Access Point Only (or is it bridge mode?)

We have been using the EA4500 on a DSL network semi-successfully.  We have now switched to a cable ISP (Charter) for better throughput.  They supply a pretty stout cable modem (from SMC) that will take the place of the EA4500 router functions (DHCP, firewall, NAT).  All that is good because I want to move the EA4500 to the rear of the buillding for better coverage where it is needed most (previously it sat in an old x-ray room that is lined with lead, and signal strength is quite poor).

So I want to turn this nice router into a super-nice access point. Page 35 of the User's Guide tells me login through the Cloud (check), go to Connectivity under Router Settings (check), click the Internet Settings tab (check), and select Bridge Mode for Type of Internet Connection (screech of brakes!).  There is no Bridge Mode tick box.

Capture.PNG

I want this set up as merely a dual-band access point at this time, with all the router functions being performed by the Charter-provided SMC gateway.  I'm assuming I'm going to need to turn off the DHCP server, and probably NAT, as well. 

Am I missing something else?

Also, will I still be able to access this via CCC?  Not that I care that much, but it's nice, occasionally.

Expert
jlbjlb

Re: EA4500 as Access Point Only (or is it bridge mode?)

I had the same problem.  On your screenshot, there should be a little "edit".   Unfortunately, I can't remember what I did to get that "edit" back (sorry).  Try a different browser, or reset to factory defaults, or reflash the firmware........or maybe try to access locally and not use your Cisco connect cloud login (or vice-versa)

Follow these instructions for bridge mode:

http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/GetArticle.aspx?docid=28cee6a2fb0d4176a2210942d1d5836c_Setting_up_the_...

Expert
jlbjlb

noedit.JPG

jschaffin

Bah & humbug.  I get no edit button in FF, Chrome, or IE.

Looking at your link from above though, it appears I need to do a reset to factory defaults, disconnect it from the router, and re-configure by hand using the not-CCC admin panels that I know and love.  As it's 30 miles away, that's something to try later this week. 

Regardless, I'm glad I've got a definitive article on this kind of lash-up, so thanks for that!

Expert
jlbjlb

No problem. 

I honestly think I had to reflash the firmware to get that "edit" back.  But not 100 percent sure.   Pretty amazing how much I can forget in 3 weeks..    :smileywink:

jaymay

Just like what jlbjlb said, there should be an edit button for you to set the router's Internet Connection Type to Bridge Mode for it to act as an access point. A reset might really be needed as well as a reconfiguration for you to get that edit button on the router's page. If ever you won't still get that option, a reflash might really be helpful as well.

Expert
jlbjlb

You can use CCC to put the linksys in to bridge mode. You don't have to go back to classic firmware.

seandoherty91

I've had the same issue as jschaffin trying to set my EA4500 to bridge mode. I've tried setting my access point to Bridge Mode using a Static IP but I keep getting the error message that reads "The Specified Domain of the static settings is not valid." I set the Default Gateway and DNS as my main Router address. I give it an IP Address that isn't being used on the network. Not sure what else to try. 

Expert
zee29

I saved the same settings on my router and I did not encounter any problems. I cascaded my EA router to another router that has a 192.168.1.1 gateway address, it immediately changed the ip address of the EA to a 10.x.x.x range and I proceeded in setting it to bridge mode. I entered the same settings that you posted here and I did not encounter that error message. I suggest that you perform a reset and powercycle the router then see if you can save the settings on the router.