Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
mlamagna

EA4500 needs frequent hard reset

Hi all,

I have an EA-4500. Unfortunately I often have to hard-reset it:

- every time I update the firmware (last time I updated to 2.1.38.138827 via Cisco Connect Cloud)

- sometimes whenever there is a black-out

The first time it happened upon the automic firmware update which released Connect Cloud.

In such cases, the router stays with the white Cisco logo on and no other lights work (i.e. the ethernet lights on the rear side of the router are off). The only reset procedure working is: unplug Internet cable, press reset for 30 secs, turn off while keeping reset pressed, wait 30 more seconds, turn on again always keeping the reset pressed.

I've tried to turn off for 2 minutes but it doesn't work. The strange thing is that the above reset procedure does not always work, sometimes I have to do it like 10 times before the router Cisco logo light starts blinking on and off (like breathing).

Besides this, which is very very annoying, I'm satisfied with router functionalities and performance.

Do you have any idea on what I could do to solve the hard-reset issue?

Thank you.

Ciao!

Max

jaymay

Re: EA4500 needs frequent hard reset

Hi! It's not normal for the router to behave that way. How about you try this troubleshooting:

1. Reboot the router

2. Wait for the power light to blink twice

3. Reboot the router again

4. Wait for 2-5 minutes for power light to get solid

5. Check if you can ping the router

mlamagna

Hi Jaymay,

thank you for your reply. Just to clarify, when you say "reboot the router" should I do it from the Connect Cloud page?

In general, whenever the issue I explained above shows up, I have no way to log on the router unless doing the hard reset procedure.

Should I perform the steps you suggest when the router is behaving normally? What result should I expect?

Step 5 makes me think this is something I should do only if the router is stuck since, when it works, I can ping it anytime.

Thank you in advance for your explanation.

Ciao!

Max

Jake_2.0

I think what jaymay was trying to say "reboot the router" is either you power off the router then power it on and then check if the power light is now stable or press the router's reset button for a couple of seconds(30 sec) then power off the router for 30 seconds (while your still holding the reset button) then power on the router and wait for a couple of minutes for the power light to be able then check if you can now ping the router.

mlamagna

Hi Jake,

thank you for your reply.

The solution you propose usually works. Not always the first time I execute it, sometimes I have to redo it several times before managing to reset the router.

My point was: why does the router get stuck every time I update the firmware and most of the times there is a black-out?

Are there any logs to be analysed to understand if it's a hardware failure or something else?

Thank you.

Ciao!

Max

Expert
sabretooth

After every firmware update a hard reset is REQUIRED and reconfigure back manually.  This has been known since day one and will not change since these cheap routers don't have dual eproms.  What you need is to put the router on a UPS so any blackout does not effect the router.  Now try.

Jake_2.0

I like sabretooth's suggestion tto put the router on a UPS so that even if you have a blackuot you still have time to properly turn off the router.

mlamagna

[ Edited ]

Hi all,

thank you for your reply.

It's so sad to know this... My previous Dlink router (which costs less than 1/5), automatically restarted after firmware update without any need for hard reset etc. By the way, it gave no issues also in case of blackout. I don't want to buy an UPS, fisrt and foremost because I don't want to spend additional money after buying an expensive product. Secondly there is no room where the router is.

I'm really surprised to know Cisco products behave like this. I should have gone for the Netgear or the DLink... Next time I'll remember.

Ciao!

Max