Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
wanderers
Accepted Solution

EA4500: weird login screen; can't login

I tried to login into my EA4500 today, and instead of the simple window that asks for the user name and passord, I am getting a Cisco Connect Cloud login screen.  It is very strange. 

At the top it says: Cisco Connect Cloud/Powering Linksys Products

and below that:

Sign In If you have not yet created an account, click the 'Create Account' button in the upper right corner of the page

There is a help button, a button to create an account.  There is a place where I can enter an email address and a password.

Pressing the Help button I learned that I can probably bypass this silly screen by disconnecting the internet.  Is there a better way to bypass this screen and turn off Cisco Connect Cloud?

Expert
zee29

Re: EA4500: weird login screen; can't login

Seems like cisco has finally rolled out the cloud. :smileyhappy: I've been hearing about this ever since they've released the latest series in the market. It does have great features in allowing easy access to your router settings. According to CNET's site your router may have gone thru an automatic firmware update and that is why you are now being prompted to create an account.

Read this review in CNET.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57460150-1/cisco-woos-developers-adds-802.11ac-support-as-connec...

But going to your question, been searching online and it seems like there is no other option to access the UI without cisco connect cloud but to unplug the cable to access it manually. Otherwise you'll have to use the cloud to manage the router "easily".

frboyer

I hope there is another option than to downgrade to previous firmware. Disconnecting Internet  to configure the router is not an option I would consider as usable. And in the new interface, when not connected to Internet, I have not found all configuration options that were previously available.

Wendel48

This is unacceptable. What if the cloud is 'down" Please, Cisco, fix this mistake and let us access the router we bought the old fashioned way!! I don't want to downgrade firmware either but I will. PS, any good hackers find the back door?
combsmsteven

[ Edited ]

I do not want this. A cloud interface is not what everyone wants. Stop trying to make decisions as a corporation and what you think the people need. Options is what people actually desire. Cisco -1.

So not only have you blatently just taken control of my device that I have purchased, but you have also generated a security issue with my home network and business. Now I have two accounts to access my router and you have my home network password stored on some server that you probably claim "Is well protected". How could you even think as an enterprise company that was a good idea?

What happens if my cloud account gets stolen? Does that mean that my home business is now been made vulnerable? That the hacker who obtains all the passwords ripped from your server can now access any home network they please? You have to be storing IP's to associate the router with the account on the backend. So therefore, what is stopping someone from remotely hacking into my network once they have my account?

Unbelievable....

Albeit the interface is cool, but I never wanted to compromise my own personal security with this...

Which now that I think about it, you have already invaded my personal privacy by "auto upgrading" the firmware. So technically your already tracking people's home networks and can just login any time....hmmm.

outleradam

I found a hole...  Dynamic DNS password is displayed in plain text

wanderers

It does feel a little invasive.  But are you sure the password is stored in the cloud?  I am no security expert, but conceivably I wonder if it's still possible for the password to be saved in the router as before.  Come to think of it, what if you have 5 routers?  One password will control all of them? 

What is the upside here?  Not once since I started using a router 15 years ago did I ever wish I could control my router when I wasn't home.  I supposed someone who has an internet camera might want that, but that seems like a very limited purpose, and you'd still want to control the camera not the router itself.

I don't know if it's a coincidence, but my USB hard drive is no longer visible on the network.  That's actually the reason I tried to log on this morning to fix the hard drive connection, when to my surprise the new interface appeared.  I still haven't fixed it because of the new interface.

Who wants to plug in a hard drive into a router that is open to the internet on the eve of introduction of this new future before it has been tested thoroughly?  Remember how secure WEP and WPA were supposed to be until they were broken?  And with their limited range I really wasn't worried.  Now somebody on the other side of the globe has a shot at breaking into network.  Sheesh.

A couple of weeks ago, I was asking about the error message that appears when you try to connect to the router through an encrypted https connection.  That error message still appears and will come back to haunt us because it's so easy to click through when there is a realy problem with the certificate.

wanderers

[ Edited ]

Is this some kind of a sick joke?

I logged into the router.  The network internet to be down so I logged in the old fashioned way.

The new interface stinks.  I liked the simplicity of the old, and I had spent some time to get to know.  It's not good when things get moved around for no reason.

I can't find the QOS settings, the router table, the dynamic DNS setting, the USB drive setting, the list goes on.  Where did they hide this.

Cisco, I have better things to do!

And it's impossible to uncheck the automatic firmware update button.

I am ready chuck this thing out the window.  Until yesterday I absolutely loved it.

ryoung$

This is totally unacceptable.   My network dropped today due to a forced firmware upgrade

I can not administer advanced functions.  The capabilites of this router have been reduced.

I wish to return this garbage and get my money back.  This is NOT what I purchased!!!

opheliaimmortal23

ryoung$ wrote:

This is totally unacceptable.   My network dropped today due to a forced firmware upgrade

I can not administer advanced functions.  The capabilites of this router have been reduced.

I wish to return this garbage and get my money back.  This is NOT what I purchased!!!

Hi there. Were you able to create an account successfully for the Cisco Connect Cloud? I believe you need to validate it first by checking the email that you used when you signed up for it and then from there you have to associate your router so that you can manage it anywhere. Check Cisco Connect Cloud from their website http://home.cisco.com/en-us/cloud?icid=global-header-cisco-connect-cloud-link