mrstarr

EA6300, Worst Router Ever

So, I try to log into this brand new EA6300 router, using the default password on the back, and the default IP address of 192.168.1.1, which I find out by connecting a client computer to it with DHCP and doing "ipconfig" like any networking professional would.

I get a login screen at 192.168.1.1, but the default password does not work.  I try again and again.  I try a different webbrowser.  Still no luck.

So I try to do a reset the device to factory defaults, by holding the reset button in for 20 seconds when I power it on.

Now when I try to pull up the Router's webpage, at 192.168.1.1, it redirects me to:

http://linksyssmartwifi.com:52000/ui/dynamic/setup/welcome.html?target=192.168.1.1%2F

Now I don't know what this BULL**bleep** is, but this redirect is now in my DNS cache, I can't get it out, and I can't pull up the routers home page at all, and it is really pissing me off.  No browser works.

So I try to connect it to a cable modem, and the client to an ethernet port, and maybe if its connected to the internet it will resolve this horse**bleep** and give me some kind of access page.

Nope, no access page, no internet, nothing.  Cablemodem works great with a dlink router I already have configured.

This router is so smart it is stupid as F############.

How the hell do I get into this box to set it up.

From now on, throw out the manuals and setup CDs and all that bullcrap you people bundle with the router, and on the front of it in big large letters, write the default IP, the default password, and the reset procedure to set it to the factory defaults.  That's all we care about.  None of this horse**bleep**.  Its so elementary people....  

luce.evening.star

Re: EA6300, Worst Router Ever

This router is actually embedded with the Smart Setup which means also that it is pre-loaded with the Smart Wifi firmware. It is actually normal for you to get the URL (http://linksyssmartwifi.com:52000/ui/dynamic/setup/welcome.html?target=192.168.1.1%2F)when you accessed 192.168.1.1. From there you can actually install the router for internet connection. You can use the following article to set up your new router properly and it highlights the following:

Setting up the Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Routers, EA6200, EA6300, EA6400 and EA6700 is made easy using the Smart Setup.  The Smart Setup Wizard is embedded in the firmware and is available even if the router does not have an Internet connection yet and the router is on factory settings.

Smart Setup benefits:

• It allows you to configure the routers through a web browser on your computer, mobile or tablet without the need of any Setup CD or downloaded software.
• You also have the option to bypass the wizard and directly access the router’s interface instead.

http://kb.linksys.com/Linksys/ukp.aspx?vw=1&docid=38cde2cfa77a45aaa96187c5ae05fa45_Setting_up_the_Li...

luce.evening.star

This router is actually embedded with the Smart Setup which means also that it is pre-loaded with the Smart Wifi firmware. It is actually normal for you to get the Smart Wifi URL when you accessed 192.168.1.1. From there you can actually install the router for internet connection. You can use the following article to set up your new router properly and it highlights the following:

Setting up the Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Routers, EA6200, EA6300, EA6400 and EA6700 is made easy using the Smart Setup.  The Smart Setup Wizard is embedded in the firmware and is available even if the router does not have an Internet connection yet and the router is on factory settings.

Smart Setup benefits:

• It allows you to configure the routers through a web browser on your computer, mobile or tablet without the need of any Setup CD or downloaded software.
• You also have the option to bypass the wizard and directly access the router’s interface instead.

http://kb.linksys.com/Linksys/ukp.aspx?vw=1&docid=38cde2cfa77a45aaa96187c5ae05fa45_Setting_up_the_Li...

mrstarr

Smart setup does not work and is broken.  How do you turn this Smart Wifi Bull**bleep** off.

This should of taken me 10 minutes to setup, and I'm getting absolutely nowhere.  I can't even get a login screen on the router.

mrstarr

Everytime I punch in 192.168.1.1, it redirects me to that blasted Smart Setup URL, and the webbrowser then reports:

XXXX could not connect to linksyssmartwifi.com:5200

There is no auxillary setup program on the CD either.   There is nothing in the manual.   

I'm plugged into the router with my client computer in one of the 4 ethernet ports (not the cablemodem port).

Want to sell me a tank with the keys locked in it?  Thanks?  What am I going to have to do to get into this router, just to do basic setup, rootkit it via some insane thirdparty firmware hack?

Is there any way to telnet into it?  Let me guess?  No....

mrstarr

Explain to me how this router is suppose to magically DNS resolve linksyssmartwifi.com with out a working internet connection because it has not be setup correctly yet?

mrstarr

The manual says this:

"Open a web browser on the computer, then go to www.linksyssmartwifi.com. (When there is no Internet connection, 

this address re-routes directly to your router.)"

Guess what.  The address is not re-routing directly to my router when there is no internet connection.  Smart Wifi is **bleep** and needs to be ripped out of the firmware permanently.  It was a stupid idea by some college marketing major, not by some network field engineer.

~

Further, I can't even validate my account via email, because when I click the validation link in the email, I get a long detailed Apache error from your Apache server.

I wonder how some poor network engineer is going to have to setup up this rancid equipment ten years from now, when you've discontinued the product, no longer run the validation webserver, or your company has gone out of business.  Its just going to be more useless computer electronic junk on the scrap pile....   all because of Smart Setup... which wasn't Smart at all, but the epidome of stupidity.

luce.evening.star

The setup CD that came with the router contains only the documentation for the router. See it here: http://kb.linksys.com/Linksys/ukp.aspx?vw=1&docid=38cde2cfa77a45aaa96187c5ae05fa45_Setting_up_the_Li....

Smart Setup benefits:

NOTE:  The CD included in the packaging does not contain any setup software.  It only contains your router’s documentation.

And this router like the other newer EA router models (EA6700, EA6400) does not have a Classic firmware. I posted a reply on the other thread (http://community.linksys.com/t5/Wireless-Routers/EA6400-unable-to-setup/m-p/662482/highlight/false#M...). I am pretty sure you can get this router setup.

Expert
jlbjlb

Mrstarr,

You purchased a router that is designed for mainstream consumers. If you're not a mainstream consumer, its possible you may become irritated and/or disappointed with the linksys EA series of routers.....IMO.

The EA series places a heavy emphasis on making it simple for non-geeks. In doing so, Linksys has alienated themselves from some geeks. Since there's a lot more non-geek consumers than there are geek consumers, it's hard to argue with their new niche.

Try www.smallnetbuilder.com for router reviews and feedback.
mrstarr

I think I'm going to make a YouTube video walking through from start to finish, just how brain dead broken Smart Setup is.   I've tried every trick I know from 20 years of networking TCP/IP equipment and there just is no way into this **bleep** box.   I've even looked in the Windows host file to see if there was any monkeying around in that.  

I'm just going to have to tell the company that bought 5 of these things I'm trying to set up for them, I can't use them, I can't support them, I can't get them to do a **bleep** thing, and they need to return them and buy some Dlink equipment.  Every Dlink box I've used I can get in lickety split with an IP address and a blank default password (the right way), and configure them with one radio button to turn off the NAT routing feature and use them as a pure access point.