Pihkal

EA6400 unable to setup

Hi,

I'm trying to setup my brand new EA6400 but it is impossible.

In the initial steps you have to create an account, this is impossible because the page won't show  the captcha, tried it in Chrome,FF and IE.

Plugged my laptop into the switch so I could finally register the account but now I can't setup anything because "I don't have a supported router", I get this message connected via Wifi or via utp to the router.

I'm ready to take the biggest hammer I can find and smash it to a million pieces.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

Pihkal

Re: EA6400 unable to setup

After a lot of googling I'm still in the dark.
I must be the first person on the planet that encounters this issue, lucky me...
mrstarr

No brother, I'm right there with you...   Couldn't log in with the default password to the router's webpage (192.168.1.1) and now, I can't even pull up the default page at 192.168.1.1 anymore  It keeps wanting to redirecto to:

http://linksyssmartwifi.com:52000/ui/dynamic/setup/welcome.html?target=192.168.1.1%2

which if you don't have a working internet connection, because your router isn't set up right, your screwed.  Its like a catch 22.  You can't setup the router with out a working interenet connection, but you can't get that until you setup the router right.   **bleep**!

luce.evening.star

You can start over by doing reset on the router first to factory settings and then use the Smart Setup to get the router going. Reset the router for 15 seconds and you can even unplug or turn it off for 15 seconds also. You can then follow the Smart Setup steps from this link: http://kb.linksys.com/Linksys/ukp.aspx?vw=1&docid=38cde2cfa77a45aaa96187c5ae05fa45_Setting_up_the_Li...

You can find additional and helpful information from the articles below:

Accessing the Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Router user interface using the local access link

http://kb.linksys.com/Linksys/ukp.aspx?vw=1&docid=32cffead811249aea7e9fc6730bf59ad_KB25681_EN_v1.xml...

Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Router, EA6400 Frequently Asked Questions

http://kb.linksys.com/Linksys/ukp.aspx?vw=1&docid=8d5f0bf91e1f47d584042e0dd9133a8b_KBxxxx_EN_v1.xml&...

mrstarr

No you can't without an internet connection...

How are you going to access on the router:

http://kb.linksys.com/Linksys/ukp.aspx?vw=1&docid=32cffead811249aea7e9fc6730bf59ad_KB25681_EN_v1.xml...

When the router has no functioning internet connection, because it is not configured and set up right?

Are networking companies stupid as hell?

On the front of every router should be 

ROUTER IP ADDRESS
ROUTER PASSWORD

This should be ALL YOU NEED TO GET INTO A ROUTER in the field.

No stupid redirect to something that needs to be resolved by a DNS server and then pulled down through a net connection that is not working yet.  #$%^&*()

mrstarr

THe problem is that even though I know the router IP address, and the router Password, I can not still get in, because of this blasted idiot "Smart setup" feature... is stupid as hell.   Its like nobody in the engineering department who designed this thing had any clue...  

mrstarr

Its like selling me a car with the keys locked inside.   

Okay, if I could get the keys, I could unlock the door...   but

I can't get the keys, because the door is locked, and I need the keys that are locked inisde, to unlock the door...

DOH...  If I can't break a window and get the keys, I'm returning this thing to the store for a refund.

Pihkal

I tried to get into the router with 3 different browsers on 3 PC's none worked.
But I did manage to get in eventually with...wait for it...my smartphone (Nexus 4).

The "Smart Wifi" (or as I like to call it "Stupid useless piece of **bleep** feature") still isn't working but now I can access the router via the standard 192.168.1.1 address which is fine.
Don't ask me why this suddenly decided to work because I haven't got the faintest clue but it does.
Now I'm trying to figure out where I can configure port forwarding.

BTW: I really hate this router, I used to have a DIY Linux box as router, this was awsome but today I decided to upgrade my network to gigabit specs, I was going to by an Asus router but it wasn't on stock so I've ended up with this way to expensive piece of sh*t...

luce.evening.star

This router is fairly easy to setup. I just got the chance right now to install one at a friend’s house. Here’s what I did:

1. I made sure that internet is working directly to the patch (my friend’s internet service has no modem).
  2. I connect the router without the power plugged-in yet to the modem and the desktop computer we used in the process.
  3. I waited for the local area connection to get recognized.
  4. I opened Firefox and typed on the address bar: www.linksyssmartwifi.com and when I press enter, it came up with the Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Setup. I selected “I have read and accepted the License Terms for using this software and then clicked Next.
  5. I got the next window about future router updates which I did not select and then clicked Next.
  6. On the next screen, you will enter your own Wireless Name and Password and click Next.
  7. You will get another window for the router password, you can set the same password that you used for the wireless or create a new one then hit Next.
  8. You will then get the message “Your router is set up!”
  9. You will then get the page Create the Smart Wifi Account which you can actually skip by clicking on No Thanks.
  10. After that you will get the Smart Wifi Page for the router.

It should work. I suggest you start from scratch by doing a reset on the router first.

mrstarr

I understand your clever method and work around by using an already existing working network connection through a different NIC card..., but it is not possible for me to even get to Step 5, even with a working local area connection through a different router, because the Linksys Apache server is **bleep** and will not validate my account when I click the validation link sent to my email.   How stupid is that.  A different problem, granted.   If I can get my account validated I will try your work around around this stupidity.