Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Koyote1_de

EA6500 Internet connection problems with dsl modem over pppoe

Hi there, 

since a few days, I have a brand new Linksys EA6500 router. Unfortunately, I have many problems with the internet connection.

The problem: 

- The EA6500 needs a very long time to establish an internet connection (about 5 minutes) 

- The EA6500 looses the internet connection frequently. The connection i not established agein, until the router is rebooted (an yes ;-) keep alive setting IS enabled...) 

Setup:

- Linksys EA6500 connects with PPPOE over a Fritzbox 7570 VDSL modem with the internet 

- Fritzbox is configured as "work as modem only" 

What I have already done:

- Called the support hotline and online support. Never experienced such a "usless" support. I could have asked the in the next bakery around the corner for help and the answers would have surely been not much worse...:manmad:

- Updated to the latest firmware Ver.1.1.27.142736

- Multiple restets (pressed the reset button for 20-30 sec)

- Changed the MTU value from auto to the value my internet provider recommends (1492) .

- Tested internet connection with 3 oterh routers (Apple Airport Extreme, Asus AC66U, Asus N66U) --> All three router establish a connection within seconds an everythinfg works just fine. So it must be a bug of the Linksys EA6500. 

--> So, nothing did help until now.

I realy hope, that someone from technical support or development reads the forum and that a quick solution will be found....

Cheers,

Christian

Linksys EA6500
Linksys WUMC710
Expert
primus

Re: EA6500 Internet connection problems with dsl modem over pppoe

We have sent you a private message. Please check your Inbox.

opheliaimmortal23

Is this on a wired or wireless connection to the router? If you have a wired computer having this issue, is it using a gigabit card? Were the other routers that you have tried gigabit also like this EA6500? Try to use a gigabit ethernet as well which is the CAT6. It is possible that the connection got choke when the regular cable is used.

Koyote1_de

Hi,

thank you for your reply. I think, I have to specify the problem a bit more.

The router does not make any connection to the internet at all... So it does not make any difference if there is a wireless or wired client. 

I tried wired connection and wireless... Result is always the same. It takes about 5 minutes to establish a connection. After a while, the router looses connection to the internet and no reconnect possible.

i am using CAT 7cable to connect to modem and router.

hmmmm... Any other suggestions?

regards,

christian

Linksys EA6500
Linksys WUMC710
Expert
jlbjlb

[ Edited ]

Is there any way you could post a screen shot of the interface where you have placed the fritzbox in to "work as modem only"?

Koyote1_de

Here we go ;-)

A Screenshot of the Fritzbox:

Bildschirmfoto 2012-10-18 um 10.33.18.png

Linksys EA6500
Linksys WUMC710
Jake_2.0

Just a quick though, have tried to check the performance of your other 3 routers for let's say 24 hours and verify if internet connection is stable? If you do then there could be something wrong with the cisco router. What you can do is to perform the normal troubleshooting steps like reset,power cycle and then reconfigure the routers settings. If that will still not going to work then perhaps replacing the router could be a good option or wait for a firmware update that could fix this issue.

Expert
jlbjlb

[ Edited ]

It's probably a bug (or as some people might say......not compatible  :smileyhappy:  ).

Is your Fritzbox the international version?  It's obviously in English.  Or did you have to telnet in to the Fritzbox and apply scripts? 

Did you test the Fritzbox with those other routers with it's current firmware (and scripts if applicable)?

Is the default setting ADSL?  Or do you have to change it over to VDSL? 

Have you tried resetting the fritzbox to factory default and reconfiguring it?

Have you tried disabling IPv6 on EA6500?

Anyway, it seems like a pretty cool modem/router.  I guess you could always put the EA6500 in to bridge mode until you hear from Cisco.  If you're worried about filesharing going over the internet, you could always make outbound firewall rules to block the filesharing ports on the fritzbox (if it supports it).

Here's bridge mode instructions you can use until you figure out what's going on.

http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/GetArticle.aspx?docid=28cee6a2fb0d4176a2210942d1d5836c_Setting_up_the_...

Obviously you would need to change the operating mode of the fritzbox if you decide to put the EA6500 in to bridge mode for the time being.

Koyote1_de

Hi,

apple airport extreme router was in use for 1 year. The two Asus routers now for about a month or so. 

So: yes, the internet connection is stable with the other routers.

Perhaps, replacing the router is the best option. Normal troubleshooting steps brought no success ...

Linksys EA6500
Linksys WUMC710
Koyote1_de

Hi, 

all three other routers have been tested with the Fritzbox. 

It is the same firmware and no scripts have been applied to the Fritzbox.

I did not have change any setting for VDSL.

--> Disabeling IPV6: I will try this....

Bridge mode is a bit of a problem for me, because I would have to use the Fritzbox as a router. Unfortunately, the NAT performance of the Fritzbox is not very good, so my download speed is reduced from 11mb/s to 6-7mb/s when Fritzbox is in router mode. Solution from my internet provider was, to use the Fritzbox on LAN Port 4 in modem only setting.

Linksys EA6500
Linksys WUMC710