Master_of_Disaster
Accepted Solution

EA6500 Media Prioritization Limits

How can I increase the number of devices in the GUI since is only allowing 3 devices.

earthmyrll120288

Re: EA6500 Media Prioritization Limits

I believe that's the way the product is designed. If you will have more than 3 devices prioritized, it may affect the speed on other devices. There is no setting on the router that you can adjust to increase the number of prioritization.

Master_of_Disaster

I understand that they put a limit on the number of concurrent devices that can be prioritazed, in this case the limit is 3 devices but I have multiple devices capable of streaming video from the internet and two gaming consoles.

The Media Prioritization List should allow me to include as many devices as I want and only allow to prioritaze 3 concurrent devices. Below is the amount of devices that I currently have.

3 Set top Boxes

1 PS3

1 Blu Ray player

1 Xbox 360

Currently my Media Prioritization List is as follows:

#1 PS3

#2 Xbox 360

#3 my main DVR STB

If I want to prioritize another of one of my STB I need to log on to the router GUI and switch the device from the Normal Priority List to the High Priority List.

The developers need to address this issue for the next firmware update since I am sure that a lot of users will encounter the same dilemma that I have now.

earthmyrll120288

I see. Well, I am pretty sure Cisco is reading this thread and would do something to address it. For the mean time, what you can do is to remove the Set Top Boxes from the priority list. They really don't need priority since those things only send signal they do not receive. Means to say they do not really need that much bandwidth. Also, putting too many devices to the prio list would defeat it's purpose because if there are too many devices eating that much bandwidth then priority would not make sense at all :smileyhappy:

Master_of_Disaster

I took one of my STB's out of the Media Prioritization List and when I use the Video on Demand feature the video is choppy and it freezes from time to time. The original router that verizon provided me had QoS rules for the 3 STB's, I replace the Verizon FIOS router with the EA6500 to achieve better control and avoid the limitations of the Verizon FIOS cheap router.

The only way that I can bypass this issue is to create a new application on the Media Prioritization List and add this new application to the High Priority List. That will require me to analyze the STB traffic when using the VOD feature on the STB. If you have any better ideas please let me know and thanks for your help

Master_of_Disaster

The issue has been resolved I create and application based on the Log info for the UDP outbound traffic for the ports

48879,322 and 3333 and I was able to use my 3 devices concurrently the PS3 and the Blu-Ray player were streaming Video from Netflix and my STB was playing content from my provider Verizon FIOS, the boxes were streaming HD Video with no degradation. so I am a happy customer and I love my EA6500 is so far the best router from Cisco/Linksys

192.168.1.101 xxx.xxx.x.xxx 48879
192.168.1.101 xxx.xxx.x.xxx www
192.168.1.101 xxx.xxx.x.xxx 322
192.168.1.101 xxx.xxx.x.xxx 322
192.168.1.101 xxx.xxx.x.xxx www
192.168.1.101 xxx.xxx.x.xxx