Re: EA6500 New Firmware available 1.1.28.146072

The firmware bug still exists where you cant access the router setting after it has been up and running for a few weeks. This has been a disaster of a router for me. Only way I can get back in to setup page is if I reset the whole unit and reconfigure everything. I thought the last firmware fixed the issue but today I tried to get in to my router and I was shown the dreaded "waiting" logo that just simply wont go away.

Is this your first EA6500 router? Might be that theVer.1.1.28.146072 didn’t solve this problem and perhaps a new firmware will be developed to fix this. What I know is that if they conduct a maintenance, that’s the only time that a difficulty with accessing the router page is experienced.

I have had the same dreaded loading logo as well. Only thing that seems to work is a reset and then restore my config. I have noticed this happens if i do not log out of the admin page or my iphone app freaks out. Cloudconnect or a buggy web interface is probably the culprit. Latest firmware no different. I am very dissapointed with this routers user interface may  be my last Cisco. I will see how long it takes before i order a Netgear and throw this thing out of the window. It is very annoying having to reset the router every other time i try to admin it.

How do you reset the router, is it by just turning it off and plug back in or really pressing the reset button manually?

Highlighted

[ Edited ]

the unplug/replug thing: support told me, and so has the dd-wrt folks, that after any firmware burn, you should always reset the router. you do the same with your PC too. the reason is the memory locations are all different for the new firmware and you can't rely on old settings necessarily being the same. I am not even sure that simply loading settings from an older firmware config file is a good idea. for the same reason, it's just a binary memory dump of the same memory is my best guess. so guess what - being a .bin (binary) file, it's probably somewhat incompatible with the new firmware! sorry folks, but better safe than sorry. stilla good idea to have backups of older firmware versions and configs for those versions in case you have to go back a rev. or two. sometimes there might be a stability problem you run into.

so:

after burning/flashing firmware, let it boot for 5 minutes (nice SAFE value).

reset your router for 10 seconds. then let it boot for 5 minutes (again, nice SAFE value). this way, you don't brick your router.

sfterwards, all your network connections are now toast. so you need to right click on the connectoid, and diagnose/repair/troubleshoot them, if necessary, within control panel,networking, where the networking connections are listed.

THEN you can either refresh your browser or go to a new page.  you will probably have a new LAN/WLAN IP address because of the required reset, so any session-based pages will likely be broken and you will have to start over from scratch. the cookie based ones, and pahges which don't use these technologies, or static (.html) web pages will work just fine.

you can reset the router by looking first (actually, on the box - you kept it didn't you?) in the manual on the cd or from the web site. it's a little recessed red button next the the power jack on the router. hold that down for 5-10 seconds for the ea6500. see your router manual for length of time. usually these days it's no more than 10 seconds.

hope this helps.

Jim, good post, i have a router (now in WAP mode) on dd-wrt and have done a 30/30/30 reset a few times, but i dont have to factory reset my PC after every Windows update, and the Firmware Auto Update option on the EA6500 suggests to me that it can and should be done without a factory reset ?

no, not a factory PC reset, but a factory ROUTER reset. big difference.

and you still need to repair your network connections after you are done if your systems are up. if the systems are off, then you don't need to repair them.

Expert

[ Edited ]

It's a bug. It affects the EA6500, EA4500, EA3500, and E4200v2. You can reset and powercycle all you want, but the bug will return. I've reset to factory defaults 5 times, and the inability to access the router GUI (locally or remotely) returns after a couple days every time.

This is a newish bug that popped up around 12/17/12.

Not sure if it's a firmware bug or a server bug. But it's a bug.

Let me say that this is not a bug at least for me I have had the 4500 for almost a year and have NOT had any of the issues in this thread it just workes great i have not powered down the router in months. BTW I use the classic firmware if your using the cloud thats a shame because there is your issues. Good Luck ....