spivey73

EA6500 Port Forwarding not working

I upgraded to a 6500 from a e4200. I use ports 81-84 on test web servers set to static Ip,s when I open the ports  nothing can get through from the outside. I can hit the pages internally on those ports and IP's but not from my external ip to those ports. When I set my old router everything is fine. 

spivey73

Re: EA6500 Port Forwarding not working

I have tried talking to the live chat support 2x. First had me reload firmware second time today they left the chat after no answer 

earthmyrll120288

spivey73 wrote:

I upgraded to a 6500 from a e4200. I use ports 81-84 on test web servers set to static Ip,s when I open the ports  nothing can get through from the outside. I can hit the pages internally on those ports and IP's but not from my external ip to those ports. When I set my old router everything is fine. 

Are you testing this from behind the router? To protect your router against possible DNS Rebinding Attacks, certain actions will not work from behind a router. This works before with older routers. Typically you do this to simply test the functionality of a feature such as web servers, ftp servers and port forwarding. To test this functionality, this must be done from the outside of the router (remote area). Click on the link below to know more about DNS Rebinding Attacks.

http://blog.trendmicro.com/protecting-your-router-against-possibl-dns-rebinding-attacks/

spivey73

I will try again but believe I was behind the router. This is a real dilemma if that's the case though as I have a lot of need for it and I already had precautions in place to prevent DNS attacks. I only use https and the router itself has no admin from public side. Does this mean anyone that uses thier external ip for functionality cannot buy a new router? I guess I'll just return it.
ScarletJamie

spivey73 wrote:
I will try again but believe I was behind the router. This is a real dilemma if that's the case though as I have a lot of need for it and I already had precautions in place to prevent DNS attacks. I only use https and the router itself has no admin from public side. Does this mean anyone that uses thier external ip for functionality cannot buy a new router? I guess I'll just return it.

I agree with earthmyrll120288. This is how they design the product and it's for security purposes. :womanvery-happy:

spivey73

Wouldnt simply giving each router a unique default password stickered with it resolve the issue? Are there no other solutions besides blocking it entirely? It seems this is just the beginning of the problem as a lot of people use those functions.

lheyvens

As of now that's how the router is being design & so we have to sticked with that.

lheyvens

As far as I know that's how the new router's has been designed & so we have to dwal w/it!

spivey73

Let me explain my scenario and why this isn't giving to work. My house like most days is a smart house. Many devices are wired up with control and monitoring both inside and outside the network. I have security systems,environment.! Music and game servers all of which are used internally and externally.Maoist now days have smart phone and tablet apps where we cancontrol those things inside and outside the house. With the new design of yourfirmware all of those things especially omy our smart phones will now have to eitherhave 2 connections set up forwhether your inside or outside the network or will have to be completely reconfigured every time you switch local to cell. Someone did this on the des ion that things are only tested from the inside and I for on am telling you that is not the case. 

Expert
jlbjlb

[ Edited ]

I think you're going to need two apps.  One for external/remote access and one for internal/local access.  For example, I use "File Browser" FTP iphone app for local file access/streaming on Linksys E4200v2 attached USB drive.......and I use "FTP Client Pro" iphone app for remote FTP access.  I just use the appropriate app depending on my location.

Ultimately, I don't think it would be in Cisco's best interest from a legal standpoint not to address a security vulnerability on new products.  They are probably more concerned about lawsuits than our inconvenience.  Hard to blame them from a business standpoint.