Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Shentok
Accepted Solution

EA6500 Unable to connect to router

I just bought the EA6500 last week. Had to RMA it on Monday and got the new one today. The issue still persists. The power light is constantly blinking and my computer is unable to obtain an IP address from it. I contacted tech support and was unable to get the issue resolved so I had it exchanged believing it was defective. The new one does the same thing. When I connect my computer to it, the light on my Ethernet port stays a solid orange instead of green like it does for my usual router. The Cisco light is constantly blinking. I would really like some assistance in this issue as I doubt I would receive two defective routers in a row.

jbaraqui

Re: EA6500 Unable to connect to router

I have the same problem.

highspeedneed769

The EA-6500 has many many issues i also bought one awhile back and it was broke right out of the box never could get it to work or connect and i have set up many routers. I would return it get your money back and then research your next router purchase.

Shentok

Well, I was suggested this router from a glowing testimonial from my friend who has had no issues with it whatsover. I'd rather get this one working rather than a dissenting remark from people. Please don't just sidetrack the discussion and instead provide help instead of telling me to just return it.
highspeedneed769

Hey you do what ever you feel you need to do im just telling you from my own personal attemp at getting that router to work right. Just look around this forum on the 6500 and you will see what im talking about. YMMV Good Luck !!

jaymay

@jbaraqui:  Double check the power adapter – it should be 12V, 3A. You may also try plugging in the router in another power outlet for isolation. Reset the router – push and hold the reset button for 30 seconds then power it off for another 30 seconds. Make sure that the computer is getting a valid IP address from the router. You may have to upgrade the firmware of the router then. If you are unable to access the router page, you can follow the steps provided by once user in this thread: Upgrading the Router's Firmware. After doing this, reset the router again and check the power light. If it's still blinking then it could be a hardware issue.

Shentok

I tried what you had posted, it does not work. I find it hard to believe that I would get 2 in a row with the same issue.
jaymay

How about you try the following troubleshooting steps:

1. Reboot the router
  2. Wait for the power light to blink twice
  3. Reboot the router again
  4. Wait for 2-5mins for the power light to get solid
  5. Then check if you can ping the router

Once you will get a reply from the router, try setting up the router again.

Shentok

Tried that earlier with no luck. What's going on is that the router won't even assign an IP to my computer. I've tried doing it manually and I get a ping, but I can't access the router's webpage nor does the setup recognize it as being connected.
VALETLINKSYS

[ Edited ]

Hi Shentok ,

You can try the ff steps

* download the latest firmware of the EA6500
* download the upgrade utility , http://support.linksys.com/en-us/support/routers/BEFW11S4 . Choose Hardware version 3.2 and download the one that says utility

* Then connect the computer to the router (do not connect the modem yet, while doing these steps)
* Set static IP on the PC , like 192.168.1.100
* Ping the router , if you can get reply from it then you can perform the upgrade
* Run the utility
* Server : 192.168.1.1
* Password : admin
* if upgrade will be successful
* turn off the router for 2 mins , after that , power on the router then wait for the powerlight to stay solid
* Once its solid , set the computer back to DHCP
* Then check if you can get an IP address from the router , if you can then you can now try accessing the user interface of the router.

I believe that I can make it :smileyhappy: