Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Vinny8888

EA6500 - auto channel selection - how does it work and known issues?

When does the auto channel selection work - does it select the channel only when the router is started, dynamically during operation, or other?

Any known issues with the feature?  Such as client devices being disconnected after a few minutes of operation when channel selection is set to AUTO, but not when the channel is manually selected (both auto selects and manual set to channel 1)?

Thanks,

Vinny

Jake_2.0

Re: EA6500 - auto channel selection - how does it work and known issues?

Selecting the channel to auto will allow the router to randomly select a channel. The problem with this is you will not be able to optimize the router’s wireless performance. As such, a firmware upgrade and optimization of the router’s wireless settings would really help the router perform better. It is recommended to seek help from a tool like inSSIDer: http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/. Set a channel that is least used to keep wireless interference at bay. Wireless security is another factor that affects the router’s wireless performance. Use WPA2 Personal as a security mode for faster and more secure connections. Placing the router on an elevated surfaced and avoiding to place the router on a metallic/glass surface would really help improve the router’s wireless performance.

Vinny8888

[ Edited ]

Thanks Jake_2.0.

Does the AUTO select channel really really just randomly select a channel?? One would think there is a channel occupancy check done for the selection.  My specific question is when that check is done - only at startup, dynamically as some period or event, or other.

The other info you provided are of course good BKMs, however I am interested in specifically issues involving the AUTO channel select feature and the senario I outlined.

Thx

Vinny

Jake_2.0

Yes and no. Selecting the channel to auto will randomly select a channel, but at the same time the router will also check if the channel that it selects is the best channel to will be assigned to your network. With regard to the router’s performance, it is actually on a case-by-case basis. There are instances wherein the router will work best when set to auto and there will be time that a manual channel is to be selected to avoid signal overlap.

Vinny8888

OK, so AUTO channel selection checks for channel occupancy and tries to select a best channel - and if not a clear best channel it randomly selects a channel.

Now, a important part of the question - when is this AUTO channel selection process accomplished - only at startup, dynamically at some period or event, or other?

Thx

Vince

imncloudnine

AUTO channel selection is always on. When the router picks up interference on a certain channel, it will find a better channel to use. I would suggest to set a specific channel though, to make the connection more reliable. Use a tool like the inSSIDer to help you pick a good channel for your network.

Vinny8888

OK, thanks for confirming the channel selection is dynamic.  Getting closer to the issue.  Any known issues with this AP and CSA (channel switch announcement) frames?

Expert
jlbjlb

[ Edited ]
I haven't heard anything but check the firmware release notes and see if they tinkered with auto channel in a recent firmware update.

With some linksys products, the auto channel works flawlessly. On other linksys products, the auto channel doesn't work so well. It varies from product to product (unfortunately).

Tools like inSSIDer aren't fool proof as you may have interference that inSSIDer cannot detect. Sometimes you just have to painstakingly go through all the channels manually to find the best channel. As a general rule of thumb, I don't trust auto channel and don't use it.
luce.evening.star

Just the same here, I have not heard of any issue regarding this. And the frames, is referring to the PDUs (Protocol Data Unit).