rhamschnitzel

EA6500 defective??

Got my new EA6500 on Friday.  I can't connect to the internet with it.

To start with, I have a cable modem that is connected directly to my desktop to verify I have a good internet connection.  I do (can browse the web).  Then, I disconnected the cable from my desktop and plugged it into the "internet" port on the EA6500.  With a new cable, connected one end to the desktop and the other end to Port 1 on the router.  Now I no longer have an internet connection.

Went throught varioius sequences of rebooting the computer / router / cable modem with no change.

Then disconnected the cable that was pugged into "internet" on the router and plugged it back into the desktop -- internet service restored.  So, I have a good connection to the web.

When I had the router in the config, I was able to go to IP 192.168.1.1 and see the routers setup screens, so the connection between the computer and the router was good.

I also was able to try the wireless on the router by connecting my iPhone.  Iphone connected to the router (joined the network), but couldn't get to the internet.

It's as if the internet connection withing the router is broken.

I even did a reset of the router which didn't help.

Any suggestions?  I think I need to exchange it.

Using this new router via hard wires should work out of the box with no setup necessary.

I did also try running the install software to see if it made a difference.  Setup detected no internet, but I selected to continue on without the internet connection.  Software guided me to setting up my wireless network (choose SSID, etc) and that completed.  Was able to connect with my iPhone to the newley found SSID, but still no internet.

Expert
jlbjlb

Re: EA6500 defective??

I'm not saying your EA6500 is not defective, but most of the time it's user error. You should contact customer support and they will help you get connected.
opheliaimmortal23

[ Edited ]
@NO_SCREENNAME@ wrote:

Got my new EA6500 on Friday.  I can't connect to the internet with it.

To start with, I have a cable modem that is connected directly to my desktop to verify I have a good internet connection.  I do (can browse the web).  Then, I disconnected the cable from my desktop and plugged it into the "internet" port on the EA6500.  With a new cable, connected one end to the desktop and the other end to Port 1 on the router.  Now I no longer have an internet connection.

Went throught varioius sequences of rebooting the computer / router / cable modem with no change.

Then disconnected the cable that was pugged into "internet" on the router and plugged it back into the desktop -- internet service restored.  So, I have a good connection to the web.

When I had the router in the config, I was able to go to IP 192.168.1.1 and see the routers setup screens, so the connection between the computer and the router was good.

I also was able to try the wireless on the router by connecting my iPhone.  Iphone connected to the router (joined the network), but couldn't get to the internet.

It's as if the internet connection withing the router is broken.

I even did a reset of the router which didn't help.

Any suggestions?  I think I need to exchange it.

Using this new router via hard wires should work out of the box with no setup necessary.

I did also try running the install software to see if it made a difference.  Setup detected no internet, but I selected to continue on without the internet connection.  Software guided me to setting up my wireless network (choose SSID, etc) and that completed.  Was able to connect with my iPhone to the newley found SSID, but still no internet.

Hi there. I see that you have tried so many things already to get the new router to work. When you logged-in to the user interface of the router, did you check if it was able to grab the ip address coming from the modem? Who is your internet provider by the way? If you have Cable internet service, you can enable the mac address clone that allows this router to copy what the computer was getting when it's plugged-in straight to  the modem. You may want to check more of this router: EA6500 Frequently Asked Questions 

Setting up a Linksys router for DSL Internet connection

Setting up a Linksys router with Cable Internet service

rhamschnitzel

Hmm, this is my third linksys modem and this is the first time I've had a problem.  All previous models were plug-and-play out of the box when directly wired with ethernet cables (and then I'd manually set up my wireless network -- not using the software).  I'll try the MAC address clone when I get home from work.  I've never had to play with that option before.  BTW, my cable provider is Cablevision in NY.

opheliaimmortal23

Hi there. Thanks for replying. Please do give that a try. That is what I do normally to get a connection from a Cable internet service. And that works I am sure for Cablevision ISP. One tip, to make sure you are cloning the right mac address, you connect your pc straight to your modem and do ipconfig/all and get the physical address on the working local area connection and once you're going to enable it, just compare if it is the same one that you wrote down. :smileyhappy:

rhamschnitzel

Determined that after running the setup software, that the default for the router was to clone my computers MAC address.  I verified that it was the correct MAC address.  So it must have been cloning the same MAC address when I went through all my trials/debug over the weekend.

Also, with my web browser, I can't get to the setup pages of my cable modem 192.168.100.1 (default for Motorolla Surfboard).

All this is pointing to the EA6500 having a problem with the "internet" ethernet port (or the hardware/firmware behind it).  At least that's how I interpret the results of all this testing.

Expert
jlbjlb

You can try this:

1. Connect your pc directly to your modem.

2. Dowload newest firmware here

http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/support/routers/EA6500

3. Disconnect your pc from modem

4.  Connect pc to EA6500 lan port with ethernet

5. Upgrade to latest firmware

6.  After firmware is completely installed, reset EA6500 to factory defaults by pressing and holding recessed reset button for 15 seconds.

7.  Try again. Make sure WPS wifi protected setup is disabled

I wasn't trying to give you grief on the user error.  The first time I tried to setup my new linksys, it wouldn't work either.  So the user error applied to me too :smileyhappy:

jaymay

One way to check if the internet port is working or not is by doing a loopback test. Just leave the connection from the computer to the router. Use another cable - connect the other end to the internet port and the other end to any of the ethernet ports. When you access the router page, check then for the WAN IP. If it's 0.0.0.0, then I believe the internet port might not be working properly. if you will get 127.0.0.1, then I believe the router is capable of getting the internet IP address from the modem.

steve_z

I have a similar problem using verizon in NY. Customer Service told me that my verizon router interfered with my ea6500. They told me to put the ea6500 into bridge mode. It seems to work on all of my devices except one laptop running Windows Vista Home Premium. That computer can't access the Internet no matter what I try.

jaymay

If that is the case then the problem might be on that laptop only. Other devices are already working. Was that computer working fine before? What is the antivirus software you have on that laptop? If it's McAfee, I've heard that with the current update they released for the software, it conflicts a windows settings that would hinder the computer to get online. A system restore is one of the workarounds I heard that solved the problem but probably McAfee has another solution though. But try to check first the antivirus on that laptop.