Re: EA6500 defective??

Can't bridge the modem. ISP doesn't  approve.

Expert

What is the wireless adapter in the laptop that won't connect.If only one laptop is unable to connect then there is something in that computer that will not allow you to connect. Please check if the laptop is using an Atheros wireless adapter. I have read about some concerns with this adapter that is not able to connect with WPA/WPA2 type of security.

Expert

ok.

Let me try again.

option 1.

change the linksys local ip address to 192.168.2.1 and

change the linksys starting DHCP range to 192.168.2.100

Option 2.

Put the EA6500 in to bridge mode following these instructions

http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/GetArticle.aspx?docid=28cee6a2fb0d4176a2210942d1d5836c_Setting_up_the_...

Choose either option 1 or option 2.

The reason why you are having problems is because you didn't run the cd and you are double natting on the same subnet.  The default ip address of the actiontec is 192.168.1.1 and default ip adress of the EA6500 is 192.168.1.1.  That's no good.  That's double nat on same subnet.

Expert

If you choose option 2 and want the Guest Network to work, you'll need to read this thread and all of the links because the "official" bridge mode instructions won't allow guest network.

http://homecommunity.cisco.com/t5/Wireless-Routers/E1200-guest-account-can-t-resolve-DNS/m-p/565780#...

By reconfiguring the router as suggested by jlbjlb, I was able to run the router normally and regained the apps that din't run in bridge mode.

As suggested by Zee29, the wireless adapter is Atheros. It will not work with WPA or WPA2. If I use WEP, the laptop connects to the router perfectly.

Thanks to all for the assistance!

Expert

Glad you have it working.  Most actiontecs use 192.168.0.1 as the default.  So you would have been fine with an off-the-shelf actiontec.  But Verizon loads custom firmware and changes the default of the actiontec to 192.168.1.1 (which conflicts with the default linksys at 192.168.1.1).

I thought this might be relevant here as I had a similar problem and was able to get it resolved. After three hours with technical support online I was called back a day later by an engineer from Southern California. They confirmed there was nothing wwrong with my router, it was the settings used by my ISP (Comcast). It seems they only partially implement IPV6 (how do you only partially implement it?) and the solution was to disable the IPV6 protocol in the settings (uncheck the "enabled" box when you edit IPV6 settings). It has worked great since then. I moved from wanting to throw it out the wwindow to being a very pleased customer. Fourth linksys router and the only one that has ever given me problems, and it wasn't their fault. Despite a very long diagnostic process I got the answers I needed. Hope that helps!

OK Listen UP!!!

I just bought my router on 10/7/2012

I had the following problems:

Install would not recognize internet

Had to mark "skip step" checkbox and complete install (name router, password, etc)

eveything sorta worked but internet connection was hit or miss

THEN...

I installed the firmware update and:

My laptop (wireless connection) was showing on list as wired LAN conecction with 168.204.xxx.xxx ip address rather than 192.168.1.1xx as it should have been

laptop showed network connection but no internet access.

ALSO ALL of my eithernet ports just stopped registering and working completely (wireless access only).

I spent 6 hours on four different chats with four different tech support people and they had me jumping through every stupid hoop under the sun repeatedly. Then I stumbled upon the solution.

I noticed on the support page that you could download the setup software ver: 2.0.1.xx

When I looked at my setup disk it was Ver: 1.0.0

I reset my modem (IMPORTANT STEP TO ERASE FIRMWARE UPDATE)

and ran to updated install software.

OMG!!! Everything works PERFECTLY... like it should have to begin with!!!

If you have not run the Ver:2.0.1 setup software from the web, do it now!

I should also point out that in ALL of my conversations with "tech support", not once did any of them mention that there was an updated version of the install software and that the router shipped with a version that is riddled with bugs. Clearly tech support is not even aware of the problem or that the solution is as simple as downloading the updated software. 

The updated install software is available here:

http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/support/routers/EA6500

Highlighted

That is a great thing that you were able to use the updated software from the website. I will recommend that one also. Thanks for the update on this. Smiley Wink