tharperAlmo
Accepted Solution

EA6500 ftp problems

I have a new EA6500 and am failing at getting ftp to work.  I have updated the firmware.

My ftp folder is on a Seagate USB Go-Flex drive attached directly to the router via USB.  I have set up shares which I can see and access via my computer which is attached to the router.

FTP is configured to use port 21 and UTF-8.

I have tried to access ftp using my browser by typing in ftp:<router ip addr>:21.  I get an "UNable to Connect" error.  I checked the ip address using whatsmyip.com and it is correct. 
I have also tried to access it using some stp access software in both passive and active mode.  I get a login box, but always get the error "incorrect login" (error 530).  I have tried this with Secure Folder Access both on and off. 

Let's see, I've also tried accessing with unchecking the "Filter anonymous internet requests", but it did not change anything.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

earthmyrll120288

Re: EA6500 ftp problems

To protect your router against possible DNS Rebinding Attacks, certain actions will not work from behind a router.  I am assuming you are doing this to test the functionality of the FTP server.

Example scenarios:

• If you want to test accessing an FTP server by its WAN IP address it would not work. To simply test the functionality, this action must be from outside the network. If the computer being used is behind the router, the computer needs to use the private IP address (local IP) of the FTP server.
  • Another thing is pinging the WAN IP address from a client that is behind the router would not work.  To test this functionality, this must be done from the outside of the router (remote area).  This includes even if the “Filter anonymous Internet requests” is unchecked.

Click on the link below to know more about DNS Rebinding Attacks:

http://blog.trendmicro.com/trendlabs-security-intelligence/protecting-your-router-against-possibl-dn...

tharperAlmo

Thank you, EM.  That helps a lot  As you can tell, I am just learning about networks and their features. Your link leads to a very interesting site.  I understood some of the technique. I'll keep working...

G-Zee

I also have an EA6500,

I have set up an ftp server which I can access through a web browser remotely, I can provide username and password and browse my files.

However if I try using a full function ftp client. e.g winscp or ftp command line, I can't get a login prompt:

Seems I can get files from ftp server but I can't put.

This is probably down to firewall rules.

Is it possible to configure the EA6500 ftp server so I can remotely send files to my usb shared drive ftp area? 

Jake_2.0

The ftp server feature is actually not that complex. You just need to enable ftp server on the router and know the WAN ip. You also need to uncheck “filter anonymous internet request” then try to access the ftp server using a remote computer.

Expert
jlbjlb

[ Edited ]
Yes. You can get and put remotely. I use a Linksys E4200v2 with smart wifi firmware....and FTP enabled. So I assume you could certainly do it with EA6500 too.

I mostly "put" (upload) using an iphone (FTP client pro app) over a Verizon wireless 3G connection. Not sure that matters though....
G-Zee

Thanks, I do not believe I NEED to uncheck deny anonymous requests, although its an advisable check when trouble shooting.
Thanks jibjib if you putting it may be some other problem at the connecting end. Ill keep trying in confidence it should work.
Expert
jlbjlb

Yeah, you can leave "block anonymous Internet requests" box checked. It works checked or unchecked. Doesn't matter.
Expert
zee29

Check the Folder Access in the USB Storage page of the router. Did you turn it on? The access rights of your ftp server will also depend on the permissions that you have given to specific users of your choice.

G-Zee

Seam to recall user/password for access to shared drives being same as that for ftp access, used same user pass word to place files on shared drive locally. Think its a routing problem not my router or modem - have as opoped to a router problem. I ill try some different android. Apps. Anyone recommend an android ftp client that works.