Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
jbousaba

EA6500 guest network connection issues

I am having an issue connectivity new devices to the guest newtork of my new EA6500. I was able to connect a new device after turning off the guest network and then back on. But after a while the problem comes back. Those connected devices will still have online access, but I am not able to add new devices (I don't get the screen that asks for the password, and if I open Safari I get a connection issue). I returned the Access Point and got a new one, and the same issue - seems like a firmware problem. Anybody else experiencing the same problem?

Expert
zee29

Re: EA6500 guest network connection issues

When you first set up the router, did you proceed with the update that it required you to do? With some devices, if they have previously connected to the main network, it will remember that network and will still continue to go online even if you connected to the guest network. It will not prompt for the password. You need to remove the main network or forget this network first from the device and allow that device to connect solely to the guest network only.

jbousaba

This first happened when I tried to connect a friend's device. It worked after I turned off and back on the guest network.l for a while and then stopped working again (I.e. connecting new devices). This was not the case with EA4500 b
opheliaimmortal23

Just make sure again to update the device as mentioned by zee29. How many total guests allowed that you set on the router? Double check that one. It seems like an intermittent connection on the guest, try to play around the channels on the 2.4 network. You can try channels 1,3,6,9, or 11.

LBS-IT

Hello,

I have exactly the same problem.

I changed my EA6500 a first time because of a "logo blinking" problem.

I have opened a new ticket contacting the support.

The technical person did not know how to resolve this because I have the last firmware Ver.1.1.28.146856

They told me to reset the router and to configure it without the CD.

They told me to use the local address 192.168.1.1 and the default password "admin".

I should obtain an advanced interface with more options to configure the router.

I made that but the problem is still present and a direct configuration using IP address 192.168.1.1 and the "admin" access instead of the ciscoconnect way (using email address) did not give me an advanced interface.

I tried to call them again this afternoon but I got a message saying that they are not available (tried twice waiting several minutes).

The interface contains poor options to configure the router (for instance we can't block all traffic during a specific period time or also we can't block the traffic trying to access some URL with making a difference between the private wifi and the guest wwifi).

So if the router cannot work well with the guest access, it is really a problem for me.

jaymay

@LBS-IT: Has it been over 24 hours that you’ve been inactive from the guest network? It must have something to do with the dhcp lease time (the amount of time a network user will be allowed connection to the router with their current dynamic address). By default, it’s set to 0 which is equivalent to 24 hours/ 1 day. You can try editing it to 2 days; set the client lease time to 2880 (48hours * 60) and check if the device connected to the guest network will extend its connection. In the Classic Firmware, it can be found under the Setup Tab> Network Setup > DHCP Server Setting > Client lease time. In linksys smart wifi firmware, it can be found under Connectivity > Local Network > DHCP Server > Client lease time.

LBS-IT

Re : EA6500 guest network connection issues

[ Edited ]

Thanks for your answer.

I stop to post inside this subject.

I continue to post inside the 2nd subject more detailled here : Next posts about this subject