Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
PSelby

EA6500 - loses Internet connection, requires reset of router

On two occasions since I've had my EA6500 (less than one week) I've been forced to reset my router to regain an Internet connection. In some cases, I must also reset/restart my Comcast cable modem as well. After I reset the cable modem, I can connect to the Internet directly through the modem (bypassing the router) so I don't think it's the cable modem - I think the router is doing something. Anyone seen this and any ideas?

earthmyrll120288

Re: EA6500 - loses Internet connection, requires reset of router

To isolate the concern, observe the connection when connected to the modem. Leave it connected to the modem for couple of hours and check if it is going to disconnect. If it does the same thing then we can say it is the modem. By the way, when using the router are you losing connection on both wired and wireless connection?

PSelby

I have left it connected and on since receiving it, as I did with my prior router. The only time I've had any Internet outages was when my cable provider went offline.

I am losing both wired and wireless connections when the router goes offline.

Jake_2.0

Have you tried bringing this out to tech support so that they will be able to replicate this concern on their end. Based on the things that you've done so far, it appears that you have already performed the normal troubleshooting steps.  

PSelby

If it happens again, I'm definitely contacting support - and maybe sending this router back. My last Linksys ran for years - I finally overwhelmed the poor thing with wi-fi devices, hence upgrading. I've really liked the speed so far and when it's working, it's great, but reliability at this point is a concern...

opheliaimmortal23

Perhaps you can try a few things to further test the router more. Calling tech support would be the last resort if ever it will not resolve the issue you are having. Did you by the way updated the cisco connect cloud firmware when you installed this router initially? I believe there was a prompt for that one when you install it for the first time. Try to lower down the mtu size of the router. It depends from the size set by your ISP but for cable internet service you can try 1365. As for wireless intermittent connection issue you can try (if you are using the 2.4) channels 1,3,6,9, or 11. You may

Getting to know the EA6500

Determining and setting up the correct MTU size

Adjusting the MTU size to fix dropping connection with all computers

PSelby

Firmware is current. Due to another issues I've seen (unable to use customer DNS address), I am debating backing down a version if I can get it.

Wireless is not intermittent. When it goes out, EVERYTHING goes out (wireless, wired, and it seems to kick my cable modem offline somehow as well). This never happened with my prior router.

What does MTU size have to do with this? I'm not having packet loss issues or intermittent loss - when it dies, the connection is gone completely.

Expert
jlbjlb

What's the make and model of your cable modem?
PSelby

Internet provider: Comcast

Cable modem maker: Arris

Model: TM702G/CT

earthmyrll120288

PSelby wrote:

Firmware is current. Due to another issues I've seen (unable to use customer DNS address), I am debating backing down a version if I can get it.

Wireless is not intermittent. When it goes out, EVERYTHING goes out (wireless, wired, and it seems to kick my cable modem offline somehow as well). This never happened with my prior router.

What does MTU size have to do with this? I'm not having packet loss issues or intermittent loss - when it dies, the connection is gone completely.

Resetting the router and reconfiguring the settings would be helpful at this point since you are able to isolate the issue already. A reset most of the time would be a fix for this type of issues.